Graphic arts technicians help develop concepts for projects and prepare production materials for press, electronic or multimedia publishing.
Graphic arts technicians help develop concepts for projects and prepare production materials for press, electronic or multimedia publishing. You may work for publishing, communications, advertising, marketing, printing or multimedia companies. You may also be self-employed and provide your services on a contract basis to companies and the public.
Generally, graphic arts technicians:
- Develop and produce design concepts, such as layouts and mock-ups.
- Use a computer to create elements, such as titles, text, drawings, illustrations, graphics, logos, lettering, and colour harmonization.
- Digitize and transform images using retouching systems, graphic palettes or specialized software.
- Produce proofs and camera-ready materials and prepare film and any other pre-press materials.
- Paint or ink individual cells of 2-D or 3-D animated drawings using an electronic palette.
- Work in an interdisciplinary environment.
This job requires:
This job requires
0 - 2
years of work experience.
As a graphic arts technician, you need to:
- Speak, write and read English.
- Be precise and have excellent attention to detail.
- Have strong artistic ability.
- Use word processing, presentation and email software.
- Have comprehensive skills in graphic arts software, such as Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and Quark Express.
- Be able to work on your own.
You need to communicate in person, on the phone and in writing with graphic designers, photographers, illustrators, writers, marketing strategists, printers, programmers, and clients.
Labour Market Information
Creative talent is very important but graphic arts technicians also need advanced computer skills. Advances in computer graphics technology, the introduction of laser technology and digital photography means that many graphic arts technicians need to work on computers. You are more likely to succeed if you have strong skills in the areas of video-editing, digital sound mixing, and special optical effects. Web design is a newer field that employs many graphic arts technicians.
The work prospects for this job are:
The average hourly wage for this job is: C$18.40/hour.
Source: Ontario Job Futures [PDF]
These links will give you a list of related educational programs or where you can search for them. There may be other schools that have similar programs, such as private career colleges. You may be able to get advanced standing.
Here is a list of some bridging programs. These programs can help you assess your education and skills, get practical training or improve your language skills so that you can work in your field.
Here is a list of some language training programs, such as Enhanced Language Training (ELT) and Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT).
Work Experience Programs
Many college programs in this field include cooperative (co-op) work experience.
Voluntary Membership Opportunities
The data in this profile is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the
information may have changed since this profile was written. Please check the source
for the most up-to-date information.