Construction project coordinators plan, organize, and direct the activities of a construction project, under the direction of a general manager.
Construction project coordinators plan, organize, and direct the activities of a construction project, under the direction of a general manager. You work on-site most of the time, looking after the day-to-day responsibilities of the project. You may work for residential, commercial and industrial construction companies or for construction departments of companies outside the construction industry.
Generally, construction project coordinators:
- Prepare contracts and negotiate changes to contracts with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers, and subcontractors.
- Develop and implement quality control programs.
- Prepare progress reports for clients.
- Manage the purchase of building materials and land acquisitions.
- Hire and supervise subcontractors and staff.
This job requires:
College or University
This job requires
5 or more
years of work experience.
As a construction project coordinator, you need to:
- Speak, write and read English.
- Have good project administration and management skills.
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings and specifications.
- Have in-depth knowledge of new systems and materials, and building codes and regulations.
- Use computer programs specific to the construction industry, such as scheduling and estimating software.
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, database, and email software.
- Have good interpersonal and negotiation skills.
You need to communicate in person, on the phone and in writing with team members and clients. Your team can include architects, engineers, technicians, contractors and constructions workers.
Labour Market Information
The work of construction project coordinators is becoming more complex because of the development of advanced building materials, electronically operated "smart" buildings and new building standards. Also, many construction companies now use computerized online project management, so construction project coordinators need to have excellent computer skills.
Employment for construction project coordinators depends on activity in the construction sector.
The work prospects for this job are:
The average hourly wage for this job is: C$27.02/hour.
These links will give you a list of related educational programs or where you can search for them. There may be other schools that have similar programs, such as private career colleges. You may be able to get advanced standing.
Here is a list of some bridging programs. These programs can help you assess your education and skills, get practical training or improve your language skills so that you can work in your field.
Here is a list of some language training programs, such as Enhanced Language Training (ELT) and Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT).
Work Experience Programs
Some college and bridging programs in this field include cooperative (co-op) work experience.
Voluntary Membership Opportunities
The data in this profile is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the
information may have changed since this profile was written. Please check the source
for the most up-to-date information.