Drafting technicians and technologists use computer-aided design (CAD) to prepare engineering designs, drawings and related technical information to support engineers, architects and industrial designers.
Drafting technicians and technologists use computer-aided design (CAD) to prepare engineering designs, drawings and related technical information to support engineers, architects and industrial designers. You may work for architectural, engineering, power or construction companies, government, or for many other types of companies. You may also be self-employed and provide your services on a contract basis. Technologists have more responsibility than technicians.
Generally, drafting technologists:
- Develop and prepare engineering drawings and designs from plans, diagrams or sketches.
- Operate CAD and drafting stations.
- Create documentation packages and drawing sets.
- Check drawings for errors.
- Prepare contracts and tender documents.
- Estimate the cost of construction and materials.
- Supervise and train other technologists and technicians and drafters.
Generally, drafting technicians:
- Develop and prepare engineering drawings, plans, diagrams or layouts from sketches.
- Operate CAD equipment or use a conventional drafting station.
This job requires:
College or University
This job requires
0 - 2
years of work experience.
As a drafting technician/technologist, you need to:
- Speak, read and write English.
- Have strong design and drawing skills.
- Have comprehensive CAD skills (for example, AutoCAD or Revit).
- Understand and follow technical drafting standards and conventions.
- Understand and follow the Ontario Building Code (for architectural drafting).
- Have strong math skills.
- Have good attention to accuracy and detail.
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, database, internet and email software.
Source: Ontario Skills Passport
You need to communicate in person and in writing with team members. Your team can include architects, engineers, technicians, contractors and construction workers. You also need to read written notes and understand procedures.
Labour Market Information
Many new engineers and architects are now doing CAD tasks that used to be done by technicians and technologists. This means that there may be fewer jobs for drafting technicians/technologists in the future.
The work prospects for this job are:
The average hourly wage for this job is: C$22.50/hour.
These links will give you a list of related educational programs or where you can search for them. There may be other schools that have similar programs, such as private career colleges. You may be able to get advanced standing.
Here is a list of some bridging programs. These programs can help you assess your education and skills, get practical training or improve your language skills so that you can work in your field.
Here is a list of some language training programs, such as Enhanced Language Training (ELT) and Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT).
Work Experience Programs
Some bridging and college programs in this field include co-operative (co-op) work experience.
Voluntary Membership Opportunities
The data in this profile is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the
information may have changed since this profile was written. Please check the source
for the most up-to-date information.