Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians design, develop, test, produce and operate electrical and electronic equipment and systems.
Electrical and electronics engineering technologists and technicians design, develop, test, produce and operate electrical and electronic equipment and systems. You may work for electrical power and communications companies, manufacturers of electrical and electronic equipment, consulting firms, government, or for many other types of companies. You may also be self-employed and provide your services on a contract basis. Technologists have more responsibility than technicians.
Generally, electrical and electronics engineering technologists:
- Design, develop, install, operate and test equipment and systems.
- Build and test prototypes.
- Conduct research with scientists and engineers.
- Write specifications and technical reports.
- Develop and control schedules and budgets.
As a technician, you may:
- Help design, develop, install and test equipment and systems.
- Conduct life tests (burn-ins) on assemblies and record and analyze the results.
- Help to build and test prototypes.
- Understand and follow technical manuals to adjust and correct equipment and instruments.
- Help develop estimates, schedules, budgets, specifications and reports.
This job requires:
College or University
This job requires
0 - 2
years of work experience.
As an electrical or electronics engineering technologist or technician, you need to:
- Speak, write and read English.
- Read and interpret blueprints, maps and electrical schematics.
- Have strong mathematical skills.
- Have good attention to accuracy and detail.
- Use computer-aided design (for example, AutoCAD).
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, database, internet and email software.
Source: Essential Skills
You need to communicate in person, on the phone and in writing with clients, suppliers and team members. Your team can include engineers, contractors and consultants.
Labour Market Information
Job opportunities for electrical and electronics technologists and technicians are increasing because many industries use electronic products and systems. Key sectors are power generation, transmission and distribution; telecommunications; computer and electrical equipment manufacturing.
The work prospects for this job are:
The average hourly wage for this job is: C$22.85/hour.
These links will give you a list of related educational programs or where you can search for them. There may be other schools that have similar programs, such as private career colleges. You may be able to get advanced standing.
Here is a list of some bridging programs. These programs can help you assess your education and skills, get practical training or improve your language skills so that you can work in your field.
Here is a list of some language training programs, such as Enhanced Language Training (ELT) and Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT).
Work Experience Programs
Many college and bridging programs in this field include co-operative (co-op) work experience.
Voluntary Membership Opportunities
The data in this profile is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the
information may have changed since this profile was written. Please check the source
for the most up-to-date information.