International business consultants provide information and advice to Canadian companies about doing business with or in other countries.
International business consultants provide information and advice to Canadian companies about doing business with or in other countries. You may work for management consulting companies, companies already operating in international markets, or companies planning international expansions or investments. You may also be self-employed and provide your services on a contract basis.
Generally, international business consultants:
- Provide information and advice about international business development and marketing.
- Research international business and investment opportunities, competitors, and business practices; develop proposals and make recommendations.
- Research and provide advice on the effectiveness of management policies and programs in international settings.
This job requires:
This job requires
2 - 5
years of work experience.
As an international business consultant, you need to:
- Speak, write and read English.
- Have strong research skills.
- Have a background in international business.
- Know how to do risk and business analysis.
- Know about foreign policies and political developments affecting international markets.
- Have a network of international associates and contacts.
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation and email software.
Source: Ontario Skills Passport
You need to communicate in person, on the phone and in writing with managers and clients. You need to write and give presentations. It can be helpful to know 2 or more languages.
Labour Market Information
Many Canadian companies are getting into global markets. They need the international contacts and business experience of international business consultants. Since much information can be found online, you need good computer and internet research skills to help clients plan, manage and improve their international business ventures.
The work prospects for this job are:
The average hourly wage for this job is: C$27.60/hour.
These links will give you a list of related educational programs or where you can search for them. There may be other schools that have similar programs, such as private career colleges. You may be able to get advanced standing.
Here is a list of some bridging programs. These programs can help you assess your education and skills, get practical training or improve your language skills so that you can work in your field.
Work Experience Programs
Some college programs and bridging programs in this field include co-operative (co-op) work experience.
Voluntary Membership Opportunities
The data in this profile is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the
information may have changed since this profile was written. Please check the source
for the most up-to-date information.