Dental laboratory bench workers help dental technologists and dental technicians to make dentures and other dental devices.
Dental laboratory bench workers help dental technologists and dental technicians to make dentures and other dental devices. You may work for a dental laboratory. You do not work directly with patients. A denturist works directly with patients, but you must have a licence to work as a denturist in Ontario. You may also be called a denture bench moulder, denture finisher or dental prosthesis maker.
Generally, dental laboratory bench workers:
- Make wax bite-blocks and impression trays used to make copies of patient's teeth.
- Make plaster models and moulds based on dental impressions.
- Fill moulds with plastic or other materials to make dentures.
- Use gold or other metals to make dental bridges, denture bases and other dental devices.
- Mould wax over a denture setup to make artificial gums.
- Polish dentures to make them look natural.
This job requires:
College or University
This job requires
0 - 2
years of work experience.
As a dental laboratory bench worker, you need to:
- Speak, write and read English.
- Read about new products, materials and ways to make dentures or other dental devices.
- Follow written directions to mix and use products.
- Measure metal, plastic and other materials to make dentures or other dental devices.
- Coordinate tasks with co-workers to complete work and meet deadlines.
Source: Ontario Skills Passport
You need to communicate in person, on the phone and in writing with dental technicians, dental technologists, suppliers and others. You also need to follow written product directions, make written notes to co-workers and fill in forms. You need to use dental terminology.
Labour Market Information
Job opportunities in the field are increasing because the population in Canada is aging and needs dentures and other dental devices. As well, more people have dental insurance to pay for dentures and other dental devices.
The work prospects for this job are:
The average hourly wage for this job is: C$17.30/hour.
These links will give you a list of related educational programs or where you can search for them. There may be other schools that have similar programs, such as private career colleges. You may be able to get advanced standing.
Here is a list of some bridging programs. These programs can help you assess your education and skills, get practical training or improve your language skills so that you can work in your field.
Here is a list of some language training programs, such as Enhanced Language Training (ELT) and Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT).
Work Experience Programs
Some college programs and bridging programs in this field include co-operative (co-op) work experience.
Voluntary Membership Opportunities
The data in this profile is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the
information may have changed since this profile was written. Please check the source
for the most up-to-date information.