Technical sales specialists sell products and services to dental labs and dental businesses or practices.
Technical sales specialists sell products and services to dental labs and dental businesses or practices. You may work for a company that makes or sells a technical service or product, such as dental equipment. You may enjoy this job if you like marketing and strategic business planning. You may also be called a sales agent, dental sales representative or support specialist.
Generally, technical sales specialists:
- Assess the needs of your sales area.
- Do strategic planning.
- Develop proposals, reports and sales contracts.
- Keep up-to-date with trends in dentistry and health.
- Organize information sessions, create presentations and discuss product lines.
- Visit clients or potential clients in your assigned region.
- Gather information about negative effects of products and report back to your employer.
This job requires:
College or University
This job requires
0 - 2
years of work experience.
As a technical sales specialist, you need to:
- Speak, write and read English.
- Write reports, quotes and proposals.
- Track trends and changes in dentistry and marketing.
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, scheduling and tracking software.
- Listen well and be able to explain and/or sell your product.
- Be accountable, attentive to detail, professional and punctual.
You need to communicate in person, on the phone and in writing with other medical professionals and administrators. It can be helpful to know 2 or more languages because many Canadian companies want to market their products internationally. It is also useful to know medical terminology when talking about your product with potential buyers.
Labour Market Information
Now, technical sales specialists are also installing equipment, training customers on how to use equipment and explaining how products can meet their needs.
The work prospects for this job are:
Source: Ontario Job Futures [PDF]
The average hourly wage for this job is: C$22.26/hour.
These links will give you a list of related educational programs or where you can search for them. There may be other schools that have similar programs, such as private career colleges. You may be able to get advanced standing.
Here is a list of some bridging programs. These programs can help you assess your education and skills, get practical training or improve your language skills so that you can work in your field.
Here is a list of some language training programs, such as Enhanced Language Training (ELT) and Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT).
Work Experience Programs
Some college programs and bridging programs in this field include co-operative (co-op) work experience.
Voluntary Membership Opportunities
The data in this profile is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the
information may have changed since this profile was written. Please check the source
for the most up-to-date information.