Public health inspectors look for health and safety hazards in restaurants, public facilities, factories or other types of workplaces.
Public health inspectors look for health and safety hazards in restaurants, public facilities, factories or other types of workplaces. You may work for the government, public utilities or for a company that provides these services. You may also be called an environmental health inspector, health and safety officer, occupational health officer or safety inspector.
Generally, public health inspectors:
- Inspect the sanitary conditions of restaurants, hotels, schools, hospitals and other public facilities.
- Measure physical, biological and chemical workplace hazards and review safety and environmental conditions.
- Investigate health and safety related complaints, spills of hazardous chemicals, disease outbreaks, poisonings or workplace accidents.
- Inspect workplaces to ensure equipment, materials and processes are safe.
- Develop, implement and evaluate health and safety programs and strategies.
- Fine or close an establishment that breaks municipal, provincial or federal rules.
- Train employers, employees and the general public about public health, environmental protection or workplace safety.
This job requires:
College or University
This job requires
2 - 5
years of work experience.
As a public health inspector, you need to:
- Speak, write and read English.
- Write reports on work environments.
- Understand and follow industry ethics and safety regulations.
- Have strong planning and organizational skills.
- Work well with other people and on your own.
You need to communicate in person, on the phone and in writing with the public and your co-workers. You also need to take notes, write reports and review regulations.
Labour Market Information
Many people are retiring from this profession and few people are joining it, so there are many opportunities in this field. You need to have good communication skills and work well in teams.
The work prospects for this job are:
Source: Ontario Job Futures [PDF]
The average hourly wage for this job is: C$28.30/hour.
These links will give you a list of related educational programs or where you can search for them. There may be other schools that have similar programs, such as private career colleges. You may be able to get advanced standing.
Here is a list of some bridging programs. These programs can help you assess your education and skills, get practical training or improve your language skills so that you can work in your field.
Here is a list of some language training programs, such as Enhanced Language Training (ELT) and Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT).
Work Experience Programs
Some bridging programs in this field include co-operative (co-op) work experience.
Voluntary Membership Opportunities
The data in this profile is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the
information may have changed since this profile was written. Please check the source
for the most up-to-date information.