Early childhood educator (ECE) assistants work with children in child care and school settings.
Early childhood educator (ECE) assistants work with children in child care and school settings. You may work for public daycare centres or community centres. Other employers include large private businesses, religious organizations, hospitals and family resource centres. You may also be self-employed and operate a home-based daycare. People often say "ECE assistant" when talking about this job. You may also be called an early childhood assistant, daycare worker, child care worker or preschool teacher.
Generally, ECE assistants:
- Lead young children's activities, tell stories, teach songs and prepare craft materials.
- Prepare and serve snacks.
- Help children eat, dress and use the toilet.
- Write down observations about the children in class for your supervisors.
- Discuss children's progress and challenges at staff meetings.
- Help supervisors keep records.
- Maintain and clean daycare equipment.
This job requires:
College or University
This job requires
0 - 2
years of work experience.
As an ECE assistant, you need to:
- Speak, read and write English.
- Be organized and plan curriculum.
- Know about child development, health, safety and nutrition.
- Play and talk with children, and comfort them when necessary.
For some jobs, you may need education or experience in:
- Caring for children with special needs (physical and/or intellectual disabilities).
- Child abuse theory.
- Emergency first aid, CPR training and/or crisis intervention.
- Art and crafts.
Source: Ontario Skills Passport
You need to communicate in person with children, parents and co-workers. You need to read books in English to children and teach them basic reading and writing skills. You need to keep notes of your observations about children. It can be helpful to know 2 or more languages.
Labour Market Information
Early Childhood Educator (ECE) is now a regulated profession. ECE assistant is not regulated. ECEs can do some things that assistants cannot, such as supervise other ECEs and assistants. Some employers may prefer licensed ECEs, and this could limit the number of jobs for ECE assistants.
The work prospects for this job are:
The average hourly wage for this job is: C$15.73/hour.
These links will give you a list of related educational programs or where you can search for them. There may be other schools that have similar programs, such as private career colleges. You may be able to get advanced standing.
Here is a list of some bridging programs. These programs can help you assess your education and skills, get practical training or improve your language skills so that you can work in your field.
Here is a list of some language training programs, such as Enhanced Language Training (ELT) and Occupation Specific Language Training (OSLT).
Work Experience Programs
Many college programs and bridging programs in this field include co-operative (co-op) work experience.
Voluntary Membership Opportunities
The data in this profile is provided for informational purposes only. Some of the
information may have changed since this profile was written. Please check the source
for the most up-to-date information.