Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | Sponsoring Family
In-Canada Sponsorship - Timeline & Questions
 Topic Locked
Next Page
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic
Page: of 2

flmauricio

Toronto
21 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  23:58:32  Show Profile
Hello everybody

I am pleased to inform that we got Approval In Principle (AIP) and the Work Permit today March 12, 2008.

Also the letter states that our file was transfer to Scarborough office and an official of immigration is going to contact us soon………

Please find below my times.

1. We received your application for permanent residence on September 27, 2007.

2. We started processing your application on October 12, 2007.

3. Medical results have been received.
4. We sent you a letter on March 6, 2008 to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX about approval in principle for you to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.
5. We sent you a letter on March 6, 2008 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

6. We got the mail March 12, 2008 with Approval In Principle (AIP) and Open Work Permit (OWP).

We pay everything in advance and she sent her medical test and OWP application along with the application by certified mail.

We applied as a marriage couple but we lost a lot of time waiting for date of marriage, the marriage certificate (about 3-4 months). Is better to apply as son as possible as a common law partner and later send the marriage certificate and others papers. In this way you are saving time.

I am a Canadian citizen and we apply within Canada.

This is the immigration table.

1. IN PROCESS
Application Received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
We have received your application and will review it in order of receipt. We will send you an acknowledgement letter.
Documentation Verified by CIC
We are reviewing your application to make sure it is complete and that no documents are missing. We will return incomplete applications for resubmission.
An Interview May be Required
We will review the application and decide if an interview is necessary. If so, we will inform you in writing of the date, time and location of the interview.
1.A. WITHDRAWN
(An application can only be withdrawn when it is IN PROCESS.) Application Withdrawn
You may only withdraw your application before the Immigrant Visa has been issued. There are no refunds after processing has started.

2. DECISION MADE
(A decision has been made at this point.) Medical Results Received by CIC
We have received your medical results. We will contact you only if additional tests are needed.

Approval Status Determined
Your application will be either approved or rejected. We will inform you of the decision in writing.

Permanent Residence Status Determined
If your application is approved, we will send you your permanent resident documentation and a letter saying what we need to finalize your permanent residence.

3. COMPLETE
(This is the last step in the processing of your application.) Applicant Arrives in Canada and is Granted
Permanent Residence
You will need to meet with an Immigration Officer who will verify your documents and grant you permanent residence if all is in order.

According with the above charter we have the following questions:

1. Can we have AIP without the approval status being determined?

2. Can we have AIP without the permanent residence status being determined?

3. A) Is it still possible to be contacted, by Scarborough office, in order to have an interview as a couple?
B) If this is true how long (normally) do we have to wait to have this interview?
C) After the interview takes place (normally) how long do we have to wait to have the permanent resident granted?

4. If 3A is not true how long (normally) do we have to wait without the interview to have the permanent residence granted?

5. Can my wife leave the Canada and come back with the Open Work Permit status?

6. We are thinking to move to a small town up north close to Sudbury. If we transfer our file to Sudbury, a place that is more quiet than Toronto, is it possible to expedite our immigration case or is it the opposite way?

Thank you for your answers.

Mauricio Carrillo P.Eng.
flmauricio@yahoo.com

matthewc

Hamilton
295 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  13:29:56  Show Profile
1-4: You have been approved. All that remains is the formality of the landing interview. This is nothing to worry about... your relationship is not in doubt.

5. It's better if she stays in Canada until she lands as a PR. You should hear from Scarborough local CIC soon with a date for the landing interview.

6. I'm not sure, it could go either way. If you move maybe you'll have to wait twice - once for Scarborough to get to the file, realise you have moved, and transfer it to Sudbury, then again for Sudbury to schedule the landing. I'd suggest you wait and see when Scarborough schedules the landing for, or maybe search for other people who have landed through Scarborough recently to see how long that took them.

Matthew

http://carroll.org.uk

ormia

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  17:41:50  Show Profile
Hi Matthew I hope you can help me out.

My situation is very similar to Mauricio's situation (above) but.

We have received our first set of letters. My letter states that I meet eligibility requirements for being a sponsor and my spouse's letter states that she is eligible to apply for PR as a member of the spouse in Canada class. The letter also states that processing of the application has been complete and that our application has been forwarded to a local immigration office in Scarborough. It says that CIC will contact us.

on eCas we can see the following information:

We received your application for permanent residence on September 20, 2007.

We started processing your application on October 10, 2007.

Medical results have been received.

A decision has been made and you will be contacted.

We sent you a letter on March 6, 2008 to xxx about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

Is this letter an Approval in Principle letter (the letter doesn't clearly state AIP)?

Do you know how they will contact us (by mail or a phone call). Any information on wait times? It says that my spouse may apply for an open work permit. Can my spouse also apply for OHIP as well?

Thanks
NL

flmauricio

Toronto
21 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  21:08:49  Show Profile
Hi Ormia

We applied for the Open work permit with the permanent resident application at the same time. You can apply now if you want. They are going to give it to your spouse since you are already approved as sponsor. The time to get her working permit is about 32 days according to the time frames given by CIC.

Tomorrow you can call CIC and ask them for a letter that states that your spouse has passed the medical test. In about two weeks you receive this letter. With this letter you can go to the Ohip office and apply for your Ohip card. It takes about 3 months to get your Ohip card once the application is been submitted.

I got just two letters. One that states that the process is completed, that a cic agent is going to contact us and that my wife meets the requirements to be sponsored. The second one is the Open Work Permit. I didn’t receive the letter that states that I meet the requirement to be a sponsored.

Yesterday we went to the CIC Scarborough office in order to apply for the SIN number and to find out about our appointment. We couldn’t find out anything, although we applied for the SIN number.

They told us that the landing interview would be between 2 to 3 months buy you never know with them.

Please keep me posted about your case.

If there is someone that went through Scarborough office already for a landing Interview please post the time line, Thanks

Mauricio Carrillo P.Eng.
flmauricio@yahoo.com

ormia

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2008 :  23:08:22  Show Profile
Mauricio,

I will definitely keep you updated on new developments. Likewise please do the same =). This entire process is giving me all sorts of anxiety attacks. I hope the rest of this process is just all about formalities.

N.

ormia

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  11:40:30  Show Profile
Called CIC today and asked for the proof of successful medical examination letter today. Everything seems okay.

Actually in our case, we never received an AIP letter we seem to have skipped a step. I clarified today that our first letter received was a Decision is Made Letter.

flmauricio

Toronto
21 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2008 :  19:49:22  Show Profile
Hi Ormia

Last Friday, Mar 14th 2008, we called CIC for the Ohip letter. Today we oppened the mailbox and received the letter. So tomorrow we are going to apply for the Ohip.

Did you apply for your working permit.

quote:

Called CIC today and asked for the proof of successful medical examination letter today. Everything seems okay.

Actually in our case, we never received an AIP letter we seem to have skipped a step. I clarified today that our first letter received was a Decision is Made Letter.

Mauricio Carrillo P.Eng.
flmauricio@yahoo.com

ormia

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  08:17:20  Show Profile
Wow thats pretty prompt. Which they could be this quick with regards to the landing interviews!

Yes we applied for the work permit so we are waiting on that too.

ormia

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  23:43:57  Show Profile
We finally received a letter notification of my spouse's landing interview that will take place on apr 16th!

This is the victory lap for us!

***Update
inland PR application

App received September 20, 2007
Started processing app October 10, 2007
DM March 6, 2008
Landing interview Apr 16,2008

flmauricio

Toronto
21 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  18:35:07  Show Profile
We got that interview letter at Scarborough office at 11 am on Apr. 16.

We are happy as well.

My time line so far

1. We received your application for permanent residence on September 27, 2007.

2. We started processing your application on October 12, 2007.

3. Medical results have been received.

4. We sent you a letter on March 6, 2008 to XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX about approval in principle for you to become a Permanent Resident of Canada. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

5. We sent you a letter on March 6, 2008 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX about the decision on your application. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us. If we have sent the letter to the wrong address, please contact us.

6. We got the mail March 12, 2008 with Approval In Principle (AIP) and Open Work Permit (OWP) and advising us that our case was transferred to Scarborough office.

7. We got the interview letter today, March 26, from Scarborough's office. This interview is going to be held on Apr 16 in order to grant the PR.

Mauricio Carrillo P.Eng.
flmauricio@yahoo.com

sopyjm

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  21:43:46  Show Profile
Congrats!! Ormia and Flamauricio. I am a new member with this site. I always read it though. Thanks for sharing yours and to other members. It is really helpful and cheerful. I guess we all are very stressed about the same situation.

My timeline is really similar to you.

-We received you application for PR on Sep 21, 2007
-We started processing your application on Oct 10, 2007
-Medical result have been recieved.
-We sent you a letter on Mar 4, 2008 about approval in principle for you becom a PR.
-We sent you a letter on Mar 5, 2008 about the decision
on your application.

I got a first letter on Mar 10,2008 -it was two letters(to My sponsor-husband and me- says we met the requirments. it says i could apply an open work permit.)

I got a second letter on Mar 11, 2008 - it says, Your applicaion has been completed. Etobicoke CIC will contact you, and it mentions about The right of Permanent Resident Fee.

I didn't get any letter yet since then. I hope i get it really soon cuz my timeline is really similar to you.

CIC told me it will take 6 to 8 weeks (or 4 to 6 weeks?- I'm abit confused.)

By the way, which location are you going? Etobicoke or Scarborough? Would you let me know?

Thanks. I am sharing my timeline because i want to let others know so it may help them too..

May God bless all of us!

sopyjm

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  12:42:06  Show Profile
well... i still did not get any letters yet since then.
However, I got a letter from the CIC ottawa for the OHIP card on Mar 27.2008 (which was the provement that i passed the Medical Exam.)
(It took almost 2 weeks to get it since i requested it.)

I went to Ontario Service Centre yesterday. I applied OHIP card. I will get it on June 5.2008 (It takes 3 months since the final decision made. Mine was March 5.2008) Which was great because i thought for 3 month waiting was since the day we applied.)

However, I am still waiting for the confirmation letter for the landing interview. I am so frustrated.

ormia

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  23:07:43  Show Profile
Hey Mauricio,

Thanks excellent! Congrats! I guess we will be at the same interview together.

sopyjm - we will have our interview at the scarborough office. you must be expecting your notice of the interview any day now.

good luck to all

Doriana_gray

Toronto
9 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  00:49:09  Show Profile
quote:

Congrats!! Ormia and Flamauricio. I am a new member with this site. I always read it though. Thanks for sharing yours and to other members. It is really helpful and cheerful. I guess we all are very stressed about the same situation.

-We sent you a letter on Mar 4, 2008 about approval in principle for you becom a PR.
on your application.

I got a first letter on Mar 10,2008 -it was two letters(to My sponsor-husband and me- says we met the requirments. it says i could apply an open work permit.)

I got a second letter on Mar 11, 2008 - it says, Your applicaion has been completed. Etobicoke CIC will contact you, and it mentions about The right of Permanent Resident Fee.

I didn't get any letter yet since then. I hope i get it really soon cuz my timeline is really similar to you.

By the way, which location are you going? Etobicoke or Scarborough? Would you let me know?

Thanks. I am sharing my timeline because i want to let others know so it may help them too..

May God bless all of us!

Hi !I have similar timeline with you)
I got my DM letter on march 6 - in mail March 13 - it was saying that Etobicoke office will contact me....but still nothing too....we have to wait more than persons from Scarborough office...dont know why....(

sopyjm

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  22:40:08  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

on your application.

May God bless all of us!

Hi !I have similar timeline with you)
I got my DM letter on march 6 - in mail March 13 - it was saying that Etobicoke office will contact me....but still nothing too....we have to wait more than persons from Scarborough office...dont know why....(

Hi Doriana-gray.
I don't know why either.
I really hope we all get a letter anytime soon. Let's hope so.
I'll let you know whenevr i get a letter right away.
Would you do that too? :)
Thanks and good luck to you and everybody.
We deserve it!!

Doriana_gray

Toronto
9 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  23:02:04  Show Profile
Yes sure i ll let you know right away when I finally get it! for now i am planning to apply for open work permit maybe the delay goes because of this....I think they want more money..

diva7146

Toronto
1 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  17:29:03  Show Profile
Hey Everyone,
Like many of you, I've been reading the info this website since I applied (in October). It calms my nerves knowing I'm not the only one with jitters and a 100 questions!!!
I was wondering is someone could shed some MUCH NEEDED light for me..My husband applied for me under the "spouse or commom-law partner in Canada class".. (I lost my status about 6 mths ago)

I recieved a letter from CIC today (April 1, 08), stating that I can now apply for an OWP or study permit. Is this the AIP or the DM letter that everyone is talking about?
The letter also ask for an original police certification from my country (I already sent in one from RCMP with my application)

I spoke with a CIC rep, who said that they received the letter from my doctor informing them that I was pregnant on Mar 26, 08 (mailed to them since January 29). He said "Congrats on your news, as we speak I'm sending to the letter so you can apply for OHIP card". How long does it take to get it??

Is it still neccessary for me to worry about the being denied or about the "oh so grilling" interview I've heard about??

Here's my Timeline:
We received your application for permanent residence on October 15, 2007.
We started processing your application on November 9, 2007.
We received the requested information on March 26, 2008. Thank you for providing the information.

flmauricio

Toronto
21 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  13:04:16  Show Profile
In order to apply for the OHIP you need the letter from CIC that states that your medical test are ok.

Also the OHIP takes about 3 months after you submit the application.

OWP (Open Work Permit) takes about 1.5 months please double check it at the CIC web page.

Please find adfditional info regarding your status in the following link.

http://www.settlement.org/discuss/topic.asp?FORUM_ID=27&TOPIC_ID=10129

quote:

Hey Everyone,
Like many of you, I've been reading the info this website since I applied (in October). It calms my nerves knowing I'm not the only one with jitters and a 100 questions!!!
I was wondering is someone could shed some MUCH NEEDED light for me..My husband applied for me under the "spouse or commom-law partner in Canada class".. (I lost my status about 6 mths ago)

I recieved a letter from CIC today (April 1, 08), stating that I can now apply for an OWP or study permit. Is this the AIP or the DM letter that everyone is talking about?
The letter also ask for an original police certification from my country (I already sent in one from RCMP with my application)

I spoke with a CIC rep, who said that they received the letter from my doctor informing them that I was pregnant on Mar 26, 08 (mailed to them since January 29). He said "Congrats on your news, as we speak I'm sending to the letter so you can apply for OHIP card". How long does it take to get it??

Is it still neccessary for me to worry about the being denied or about the "oh so grilling" interview I've heard about??

Here's my Timeline:
We received your application for permanent residence on October 15, 2007.
We started processing your application on November 9, 2007.
We received the requested information on March 26, 2008. Thank you for providing the information.

sopyjm

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  02:34:29  Show Profile
Is anyone know the timeline for Etobicoke office after receiving a Decision made letter? I haven't gotten any letter form them after receiving a DM letter.

Doriana_gray

Toronto
9 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  16:34:09  Show Profile
quote:

Is anyone know the timeline for Etobicoke office after receiving a Decision made letter? I haven't gotten any letter form them after receiving a DM letter.

I know some people with the same timeline as our and they dot their interview letter in 5 weeks after DM...why we are still waiting I have no idea...

sopyjm

Toronto
6 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  12:28:00  Show Profile
Hi everyone!
Finally, Finally, Finally! I got a letter from Etobicoke CIC office for the landing interview.
I know everybody in here is devastated by being unsettled.
It was a long jorney for me. I really hope everyone gets a great rsult.

Here is my timeline:

-We received your application for PR on Sep 21, 2007
-We sent you a letter on Mar 4, 2008 about approval in principle for you become a PR.(I received this letter on Mar 10)
-We sent you a letter on Mar 5, 2008 about the decision on your application. (I recieved this letter on Mar 11.2008)

Then, Waiting....for 6weeks.
Finally,
-I receieved a confirmation of landing interview letter from Etobicoke CIC Office on April 15. 2008
-The Landing Interview is scheduled on April 24. 2008

* everything seems fine. However, just one concern is they request 'Your sponsor(My husband) must attend the interview with you and bring identification.'
-Is this a normal or what?
Hope there is no problem.

Good luck to everyone.
I will be back here to write and share the story after my interview on April 24, 2008

P.S: Doriana Gray! Did you get a letter? I know you will get it really soon.I reaaly hope so. Let me know.

Page: of 2  
Next Page

Topic Locked
Jump To:

SF2000