Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | General Citizenship Questions
Hearing with the Citizenship Judge
 Topic Locked
Next Page
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic
Page: of 2

amrhmd

Scarborough
24 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  19:07:41  Show Profile
Hi there....I am new to this and the reason I am here is for feed back from all u guys....
Finally I received a letter saying my wife and me will be going to have interview with the judge ( September 17th 08 ) so this is what all I want to know :-

1) What all documents I need to take with me
2) Will the Judge be asking anything in relation to Canada
3) Should I go through the book A LOOK AT CANADA or ONLINE
CANADIAN CITIZENSHIP PRACTICE TEST
4) How long will be the interview
5) Will the Judge let me know about the decision if not how
long I got to wait to hear about the decision
6) If I pass then after how long does the oath happens

I am sorry for trying to know so many things but I hope you'll can understand my situation,
Awaiting your kind response,
Thanks,
Regards

amr

ahmadkamal

mississauga
57 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  10:43:20  Show Profile
hi amrhmd
I have the same setuation as me and wife need to do interview with the judge but it s not sceduled yet and i dont know the resaon of this interview. we passed the test and applied after 1095 days and no arabic stamps on our passports .

my question is that did they mention in there letter the reason of the interview or not .
if someone faild the test they make oral test ,or maybe judge wants to clarify more information about you .
thank you

ak

amrhmd

Scarborough
24 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  20:46:07  Show Profile
Hi Ahmad,
The letter do not say the reason for the interview and for ur information I didnt had my test but instead I guess I am having the interview rest I dont know what will happen after that so lets wait and watch,I am still waiting on for the responses for my queries in relation to interview,
Take care

amr

ahmadkamal

mississauga
57 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  10:07:06  Show Profile
i asked some of my friends who had ur setuaition
1) usually u need ur passports ,landing record,pr cards,driving liscens,health cards.
if u have been given a RQ concerning ur residence so you should take with you more documents to prove your residency (credit card statments, bills , report cards for ur children if you have ,......) you can call cic to make sure about tis point.
2)yes you should be prepared well coz judge may ask Qs AS A ORAL TEST .
3) time of interview usually 15 to 30 mins (my friend interview took 1 hour)
4) some of judge may say something about there decision but in general they say you will recive a letter .
5)from week to 2 months usually you recive the oath letter
good luck

ak

waqar123

Kitchener
13 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  13:03:28  Show Profile
quote:

hi amrhmd
I have the same setuation as me and wife need to do interview with the judge but it s not sceduled yet and i dont know the resaon of this interview. we passed the test and applied after 1095 days and no arabic stamps on our passports .

my question is that did they mention in there letter the reason of the interview or not .
if someone faild the test they make oral test ,or maybe judge wants to clarify more information about you .
thank you

ak

Is there so bad to have a arabic stamps on your passport? If this is the case than how arabic people get their citizenship? please advice why it is so bad in having arabic stamps on my passport...

ahmadkamal

mississauga
57 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  14:55:40  Show Profile
hi Waqar123

no not in all cases its bad ,but sometimes if the officer on the test day checkes the passports and didnt understand the dates he might ask for more prove for the residency ,as some stamps are all in arabic but if the dates are in english so its ok .
thanks

ak

BoyBilly

Toronto
157 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  15:01:35  Show Profile
No body mentioned having Arabic stamp is BAD!

The point is, if the stamps in your passport (specifically the DATES) are not in English then there must be a way for the officer to read and understand them! Now, if you have a couple of stamps in Arabic, it is better for you to have it translated (certified) and have with you in case you need to safeguard yourself during the interview (at the time of test) with the officer! The concern is, if the officer can not read the stamps then he will need additional documents and proof to show you have been in Canada and that mean an RQ! and you know what it means? (6months to a year of additional waiting period!)

Again, it is up to you and there is NO rule you have to translate! it's a personal option.

amrhmd

Scarborough
24 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  22:38:08  Show Profile
Hi ak,
thanks for the response other than driving license I guess I've everything....yes I had to submit RQ....so do I have to take all old statements for the bill paid and not the one after applying for the citizenship....I dont think I've old statements with me but I can print from my online banking anyway whats else suggestion or advice you've for me ? another thing will I be having written test after this

amr

yousefj

Calgary
16 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  09:03:05  Show Profile
Hi All
I've went through the situation where I had to meet the citizenship judge. My situation was little bit different since I had missed the two Tests. So, he was curious why I missed it! So, I explained to him and he saw the faxes that I sent him when I missed the tests. Then he started asking me questions about Canada (Prime Minister, current opposition party, and leader, Capital of Canada, first PM for Canada, when confideration started ...etc). Also, he asked me what I'm doing in Canada, how many kids I have ...etc
Finally, he requested some papers from me to prove my presence in Canada. He didn't ask for much, but I think he asked it for the sake of formalities (since he saw that I and my wife spoke English fluently in addition he saw that our kids were all born in Canada).
1 month after interview, I was scheduled for citizenship ceremony and I got my citizenship :-)
By the way, the interview happened in an office, and the judge is a very normal person (I mean in the way he dresses). It's not like a court (as I would have imagined). No, it was just a room with a desk and he had conversation with me.

yousefj

Calgary
16 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  09:13:27  Show Profile
Answers to your question:
He will require your current and previous passports along with 2 IDs one of them with driving license, your PR card adn Landing paper. The required documents should be mentioned in the letter sent to you.

Yes he will. For me, he was more focusing on the political questions regarding elections, current party in power, opposition party, mayor of my city.

Sure you should if you did not take the test (even if you did, just in case). For me I did not take the test, and therefore he asked me.

Not long, around 20 minutes. See my previous post.

He will imply to you his decision, but he would not tell you straight away. For my case, he said to me, all seems fine for me, but I need to see some papers to prove your presence in Canada. So, if you give them to me, and I get to see them, I might accept your application (but I don't promise). Let me see your papers first.
For me, I was informed that I was approved in 14 days. The oath was scheduled one month from the date the letter sent to me to do the oath.

Hope this answers your questions. Go confident, the WORSE thing the judge can do is tell you that you have to re-apply.
quote:

Hi there....I am new to this and the reason I am here is for feed back from all u guys....
Finally I received a letter saying my wife and me will be going to have interview with the judge ( September 17th 08 ) so this is what all I want to know :-

I am sorry for trying to know so many things but I hope you'll can understand my situation,
Thanks,
Regards

amr

amrhmd

Scarborough
24 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  00:52:52  Show Profile
Appreciated Yousefj,
thanks for taking out time and responding to all my queries I've few other things to know :-
Did you take other documents along with you to prove your stay in Canada or did you had to post it and what were the documents you took to prove your stay in Canada,
Thanks again

amr

genilia

houston
11 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  11:49:26  Show Profile
Hi,
can yous uggest me some tips,in my case I lost a passport and they gave mea RQ to fill out and said that I have to sit with a judge for a IV.What will they ask me at that time...I did write my test will there be another test or wll they reject me cos of lot passport.
gn

quote:

Answers to your question:
He will require your current and previous passports along with 2 IDs one of them with driving license, your PR card adn Landing paper. The required documents should be mentioned in the letter sent to you.

Yes he will. For me, he was more focusing on the political questions regarding elections, current party in power, opposition party, mayor of my city.

Sure you should if you did not take the test (even if you did, just in case). For me I did not take the test, and therefore he asked me.

Not long, around 20 minutes. See my previous post.

He will imply to you his decision, but he would not tell you straight away. For my case, he said to me, all seems fine for me, but I need to see some papers to prove your presence in Canada. So, if you give them to me, and I get to see them, I might accept your application (but I don't promise). Let me see your papers first.
For me, I was informed that I was approved in 14 days. The oath was scheduled one month from the date the letter sent to me to do the oath.

Hope this answers your questions. Go confident, the WORSE thing the judge can do is tell you that you have to re-apply.
quote:

Thanks,
Regards

amr

gn

BoyBilly

Toronto
157 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  14:23:26  Show Profile
To Genilla,

Since you lost your passport, the officer had no way to make sure you were present in Canada for 1095 days (out of four years), so they asked you to send more documents (RQ) to prove your claim. If your documents support your claim then there is nothing to worry about, otherwise you know what to expect!

amrhmd

Scarborough
24 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  19:02:28  Show Profile
Hi,
What other documents should I take long with me other than Passport along with 2 IDs ( Driving License,PR Card and Landing Paper ) which has been mention in the letter received to appear in front of judge and what would I address to judge when I meet him,
Thanks as always

amr

yousefj

Calgary
16 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  03:36:44  Show Profile
quote:

Hi,
What other documents should I take long with me other than Passport along with 2 IDs ( Driving License,PR Card and Landing Paper ) which has been mention in the letter received to appear in front of judge and what would I address to judge when I meet him,
Thanks as always

amr

Just bring what you were asked for. It's good to keep handy proof of filing tax. But in general, if he needs more documents, he will ask you to bring them in a week or so. I just want to emphasize here that this is a citizenship judge which is a honoury position. So, you can call him judge or your honour. Or by his first name since he will introduce himself to you :-)

amrhmd

Scarborough
24 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  01:43:04  Show Profile
Thanks very much YOUSEFJ....I was waiting for ur response anyway hope everything goes well for me on 17th rest all depends....got to keep my fingers cross and wait,
Once again thanking u for ur time and response,
Take care and regards,

amr

yousefj

Calgary
16 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  11:58:56  Show Profile
quote:

Hi,
can yous uggest me some tips,in my case I lost a passport and they gave mea RQ to fill out and said that I have to sit with a judge for a IV.What will they ask me at that time...I did write my test will there be another test or wll they reject me cos of lot passport.
gn

Hi Gn
If you lost your passports, then you need to bring a proof of that. A police report (if not in English, get it translated from authorized translator in Canada).
Also, you need to explain clearly to the judge why the passport was lost. Though this might weaken your situation, but loosing the passport does not mean that you were not in Canada. So, the judge in this case will ask for proof that you have been in Canada.
So, the judge will challenge you and ask you where and how you lost your passport. You and everyone who has lost the passport from your family must have the same story (since it's what happened). Also, he will give you the opportunity to prove that you have been in Canada through documents. He will ask you to bring the documents within 1 week for example. In my case, i was prepared, so, I just dropped the papers next day and afterwards I was called for Oath.

So, bottom line, loosing the passport is not the end of the world, this happens for the un lucky ones, and you need to prove that you have lost it by police report.
Hope this answers you questions.

yousefj

Calgary
16 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  12:06:08  Show Profile
quote:

Appreciated Yousefj,
thanks for taking out time and responding to all my queries I've few other things to know :-
Did you take other documents along with you to prove your stay in Canada or did you had to post it and what were the documents you took to prove your stay in Canada,
Thanks again

amr

Hi Amr
Don't confuse yourself. For the interview just bring what they ask for. If the judge wants more documents, he will ask for them. For my case, he asked for them to be dropped within 1 week. Since I was prepared, I just dropped them next day.
The documents to prove your presence are:
1) Tax returns (MOST IMPORTANT and MUST).
2) Any government letters coming to your address or adressed to you (Health card statements, CTB, GST ...etc).
3) Any letters from voluntery organizations (if any).
4) Telephone bills, Internet, Utility, Rents ...etc. You don't need to bring ALL of them for All months. You can bring 5 from each year.
5) Bank Statements, VISA statements that shows transactions happening.
6) Any letter that was addresses to you in your addresses.
7) Birth certificates of your children if any of them was born in Canada.

Bottom line, any document that was sent to you through out this period since receiving it means you have been in Canada.

zaksai

windsor
1 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  11:10:38  Show Profile
What happen in your interview .....

sai zak

amrhmd

Scarborough
24 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  20:56:56  Show Profile
Sorry for responding late SAI ZAK....this msg is for YOUSEFJ also I had my interview yesterday ( 17th Sept ) and believe me it would be so easy I never thought of....the judge was so nice....I was short of 154 days but still he approved it....he jus saw my PR CARD,PASSPORT,HEALTH CARD n DRIVERS LICENSE infact I was having a file with other documents to prove my stay in Canada like TAX RETURN,BANK STATEMENTS,ETC he didnt care to ask for anything....he then asked few questions on Canada and told me to wait outside coz it was my wife's turn to be interviewed and after few minutes he called me in and said saying that I am short of days but he is still approving it and said we'll be getting the oath ceremony letter but not sure after how many days so finally after 20 months I am kind of Canadian Citizen jus the oath is left....I'll let you guys know bout the oath days once I get the letter,

Thanks and Regards

amr

afm_rain

toronto
3 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  10:09:58  Show Profile
hi every body,
i just call the call center and they informed me that i will be scuadlue for Judje intervew i will prepare my self ..just wonder if the following can help :
- family doctor visits .
- employment contract.
- i have no transcation in my bank account what shal i do ?

hopfully can get answers ..thanks

orcad

Page: of 2  
Next Page

Topic Locked
Jump To:

SF2000