Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | General Citizenship Questions
How to prove Ontario Residency?
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

user

Ontario
1574 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  12:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a Canadian citizen who moved to the US 5 years ago to complete a masters degree. Since graduating, I have been working in the states on a TN visa. My husband and I (he is also Canadian, working on a TN) would like to move home asap to be with our aging parents.

I was able to find a job as a stop-motion animator with the animation studio I worked for before moving to the states.
They would like to hire me, but can only hire "Ontario Residents", due to the film tax credit they receive.

I have been trying to find out how I become an Onatrio Resident again, but have not been able to find information for returning Canadians. Can you tell me what I need to do and what the timeline is?

Many thanks,
Beatrice

impaler

Toronto
354 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2009 :  14:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not aware of a concise and uniform definition of an "Ontario resident"

There are multiple definitions used by the Ministry of Health, Transportation, Ontario Student Assistance Program...Revenue Canada and Citizenship and Immigration have their own ideas about what it means to be a Canadian resident

I would confidently argue that if when you are hired you are physically living in Ontario and maintain no other residence elsewhere you are an "Ontario resident"...typical indicia of residence include Ontario driver's license, OHIP card, residential lease or purchase contract, vehicle registration, utility bills and bank statements mailed to an Ontario address.

alikibenson

mississauga
94 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  00:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Beatrice ,

Maybe this will help in deciding if you are an Ontario Resident or not .

Resident of Ontario

A " Resident of Ontario" is a person who fulfils one or more of the following criteria:

* A person who can establish bona fide residency in Ontario as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) for a period of 12 consecutive months (excluding periods spent in a post-secondary institution) prior to registration in the year for which application is being made.

* A person who is dependent on a parent or legal guardian, and that parent or legal guardian can establish bona fide residency in Ontario as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) for a period of 12 consecutive months prior to registration in the year for which the application is being made. For purposes of this binding policy directive on admissions criteria, a person is considered to be independent of his or her parent or legal guardian if:
o he or she has been out of high school for five years; or
o he or she is married, widowed, or divorced; or
o he or she has dependent children

* A person who can establish bona fide residency in Ontario as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) for a period of 12 consecutive months prior to being stationed temporarily outside of Canada as an employee of a provincial or Canadian government or an international organization.

* A person who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) who has taken up permanent residency in Ontario prior to registration as part of a bona fide family relocation from another Canadian province or territory. This does not include relocating to Ontario for the sole purpose of attending an Ontario college of applied arts and technology.

Evidence of bona fide residency may include (but is not restricted to) filing of Ontario tax returns, eligibility to vote in Ontario, production of permanent driver's license or an Ontario motor vehicle registration, proving place of employment, and filing municipal tax returns.

For the purposes of this policy, a Canadian citizen includes a Status Indian or Inuit as defined by the federal government.

Resident of a province or territory in Canada: an applicant who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident in a province or territory as defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) who can establish bona fide residency in a province or territory other than Ontario, in accordance with the Ontario residency definitions outlined above.

alikibenson

mississauga
94 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  01:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

For all practical purposes just get a Ontario Driver's License , get a bank statement or phone bill or utility bill with your name on it mailed to your Ontario address , file your taxes in Ontario , get a rental , lease or mortgage contract in Ontario and you will be considered to be an Ontario resident for job purpose .

VCepesh

Toronto
1 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2013 :  10:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Proof of Residency" section of Ontario Health Insurance Coverage Document List will give you some ideas:

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/FormDetail?openform&ENV=WWE&NO=014-9998E-82

Here are my recommendations for those that don't yet have any of the documents required as proof of residency:

- For those that have a US driver's licence (or a driver's licence from a country with exchange reciprocity with Ontario, like Korea, Japan, Germany, UK, etc.) I would recommend to exchange it as soon as possible. You don't need a proof of residence to do that, and once you receive your Ontario DL it will become your proof of residence.

- For those that can't or won't drive in the near future I'd recommend the Ontario Photo Card. Quick, easy and cheap ($35), and it's your primary ID just like the DL. You need another ID to apply for it, but not the proof of residence.

- If you are not yet licensed to drive (or come from a country without reciprocity) but plan to apply for a DL, I'd recommend doing it ASAP for various reasons. You'll have your proof of residence as soon as you receive your first plastic licence - You just need to pas the written test and pay $85.

There's much more to it than can fit here. Please consult Service Ontario web site for more details (www.ontario.ca).

mirniz

Toronto
4 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2014 :  23:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just file the tax? or after filling the tax and then get the notice of assessment? they both are different, can u please elaborate on this?

quote:

For all practical purposes just get a Ontario Driver's License , get a bank statement or phone bill or utility bill with your name on it mailed to your Ontario address , file your taxes in Ontario , get a rental , lease or mortgage contract in Ontario and you will be considered to be an Ontario resident for job purpose .

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000