Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Housing | Landlord and Tenant Information and Issues
Another Noisy Neighbour Question
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

kittiecutie

Ottawa
1 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2009 :  20:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I currently live in an apartment building and for the most part it's good. I've had noise issues in the past and they were not adequately dealt with by my landlord. However those tenants were evicted about a year ago due to non payment. In the meantime a new tenant moved in, she was great, we talked and a few times it was kind of noisy but I lived with it, once in a while I really don't care about.

However, that girl moved out and a new girl moved in. I've tried talking to her about the noise. I can't speak French so I had a friend of mine there the next time I talked to her and she slammed the door in my face. I literally never get a moments peace. From the time I get home from work until the time I go to bed it's either the TV or the bass from loud music. Or elephants stomping around on the floor. I've called bylaw and they say they cannot do anything before 11pm.

As I type this, I can't even hear my TV which is less than 10 ft away. I'm to the point that I want to move out. I've told my landlord this as well, and they don't seem to care.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Site Staff

Ontario
308 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2009 :  15:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi kittiecutie,

Thanks for sharing your question. It sounds like a frustrating situation.

It sounds like you have already talked with the tenant, your landlord and also your local bylaw office about this problem.

You may want to contact the nearest Community Legal Clinic to find out what your options are.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions or any updates to your situation, please feel free post them here.

Thanks,
Bonnie

------------------------
Settlement.Org Staff

stevewbcanada

Hamilton
17 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  00:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a landlord, I sympathize with you. Noise complaints are almost impossible for a landlord to rectify; evicting a "noisy" tenant is practically impossible. I hate to say it, but your only realistic options in my experience are to put up with it or move out. You might also consider calling the police or bylaw enforcement if the noise violates your local bylaw -- each municipality has different rules, so you'd have to find out what applies in your area.

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000