Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Health | Getting Health Care (OHIP)
OHIP Coverage?- Medically Necessary Dental Surgery
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

canadagirl

Toronto
1 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  14:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have badly impacted wisdom teeth, and do not know how I can afford to have them extracted. On the advice of a dentist I visited the University of Toronto dental clinic, as I understand it is lower cost than private clinics. They still assessed the cost of my procedure at over $800, and indicated that it could not be put off as it involves cysts requiring biopsy.

I have a young son to care for and do not know what to do. Some people have told me that this type of surgery can be done in hospital with OHIP coverage under certain circumstances; however I asked my family doctor about this and she doesn't know anything about it and said she cannot help me.

Do you have any advice for me???

Thank you.

Flyer

toronto
97 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  09:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Information from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care website...

"Dental Services in Hospital

OHIP only pays for some dental surgery, including fractures or medically necessary jaw reconstruction, when done in hospital.

You must pay the cost of dental services in a dentist's office. The exception is the Children in Need of Treatment program (CINOT), managed by public health units. CINOT provides basic urgent care to children checked at school by dental professionals."

Ontario
11909 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  10:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have badly impacted wisdom teeth, and do not know how I can afford to have them extracted. On the advice of a dentist I visited the University of Toronto dental clinic, as I understand it is lower cost than private clinics. They still assessed the cost of my procedure at over $800, and indicated that it could not be put off as it involves cysts requiring biopsy.
You are in a difficult situation and have already done much of what I would suggest you do. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that OHIP will pay for your costs. As Flyer points out, the Ontario Health Insurance Plan does not cover dental health services, other than some dental surgery, including fractures or medically necessary jaw reconstruction, when done in hospital.

We have a bit more information here:

If You Do Not Have Dental Coverage
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000298#ify

In most cities in Ontario, the local Community Health Department offers some free dental services. However, these services are only available to very specific people (such as eligible seniors and children) and you should contact your local Community Health Department to find out what services are available in your community.

Call 416-392-0907, for more information about Toronto Public Health dental services. They may have some other suggestions for you.

Some community health organizations have specialized dental services. To find out what is available in your community, call 211 Toronto, for their advice and information. 211 Toronto is a community helpline and they may know of other services or ways of covering costs that we have are not aware of.

For example, Dental Services are covered by those who receive Social Assistance (Ontario Works). If you are not a Social Assistance recipient, you may still be able to receive some emergency financial support. Ask a 211 Toronto Information Counsellor for more information about this (the City of Toronto Social Dental Services Policy can be found here - http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/socialservices/Policy/DentalServices.htm - it includes Emergency Dental Program for Adults in receipt of Ontario Works).

If you are unable to get lower or free cost service, try to work out a payment plan with the Dentist or clinic where you get the work done. You obviously need to have these teeth extracted.

I'm sorry we cannot do more for you.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Marco
Content Coordinator
Settlement.Org

inpain

oakville
1 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  01:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you want my personal oppinion i find this ridiculas wizdom teeth are NOT cosmetic they really should be covered under ohip im in so much pain right now because i cant afford to get them out this is rediculas and obsurd when is someone gonna do somthing about this i pay to be healthy i am canadian it is my right being in pain and unable to afford 1200$ to a dentist is not what i call being takin care of call me rediculas call me what u will Its time for change non ocsmetic dentistry needs to be covered under ohip

Hosid1986

Toronto
3 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2013 :  01:48:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some people have told me that this type of surgery can be done in hospital with OHIP coverage under certain circumstances; however I asked my family doctor about this and she doesn't know anything about it and said she cannot help me.

Do you have any advice for me???

OHIP is the Ontario Health Insurance Policy and it covers a wide range of health services. It of course pays for a lot of dental treatments which are necessary ones and won't cover the cosmetic dental treatments. Make sure that you are performing it in dental hospital and not in some private clinics. I think it will have some tie ups with the Ontario based hospitals to provide the insurance coverage.

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000