Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | Permanent Resident Card
Renewal of PR Card - 9 months before expiry
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

nisarhaiderbhatti

Toronto
24 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  14:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got PR status on 26 may 2006 and now I am short of 18 day to be eligible for apply for citizenship.

My PR card is going to expire on June 2011.

May I apply for renew of PR card 9 months before date of expiry.

I wish to fly abroad after completing for Citizenship required days.

Waiting for reply

intense

Oakville
44 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  16:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
You should NOT apply any number of days short for the requirement for Citizenshop. ITs always best to apply atleast a few days extra.

You can always apply for a new PR card. Applying 9 months in advance should not be an issue. However, keep in mind you return your old one once the new one issued and picked up at the local office.

CK

nisarhaiderbhatti

Toronto
24 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  13:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replying me and guiding me. but I want to know that I want to fly abroad in November after applying for citizenship. and my PR card is going to expire on june 2011. what to do now with PR card?
this is the problem.

intense

Oakville
44 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  23:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for replying me and guiding me. but I want to know that I want to fly abroad in November after applying for citizenship. and my PR card is going to expire on june 2011. what to do now with PR card?
this is the problem.

Hi,
You can fly abroad after you apply, however you have to make sure that your PR card is valid when you enter. Therefore, in this current case of yours, you must return before june 2011. I also dont suggest you go for too long for many reasons.

1. You may receive a notice to appear for test, or they may require more information from you while you are gone. As long as someone is checking your mail, you should be fine. Otherwise it could be an issue for you.

If you insist on staying for a longer time past June 2011, then your only other option (safe option) is to apply for a PR Card Renewal, and I highly doubt it you will receive it before you travel in November.

You may want to process it in an Urgent matter. Contact CIC at 1888 242 2100 for more details on how to do that.

Your last option is to apply at the local Canadian Embassy of whatever country you are going to. They would then give you a travel document to enter back into Canada, however that can get a little risky and I dont suggest you do that especially since your citizenship application will be in process.

Good luck

CK

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000