Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | Permanent Resident Card
Can I renew my PR Card 8 months before it expires?
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

keshab_d

Toronto
2 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2011 :  17:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
My PR card will Expire on next Jan 2012, I met the Residency Status 730 day for renewal, however I cannot apply for Citizenship By this time, because I need to Travel outside.

Could anybody know can I apply for renewal right now (My PR Card has 8 months to Expiry) or I have have to wait and how long

Thank you so much for your help

Keshab

Ontario
11771 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2011 :  10:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your situation and questions with us.

We have recieved a response from one of our researchers:

Yes, you can apply to renew your card early. It currently takes CIC approximately 4 months (119 days) to process a PR card renewal.

Also, CIC notes that:

"If you are applying to renew your present card and your card is still valid, you may hold on to it and return it to a CIC officer when you pick-up your new card at a local CIC office"

Meaning that you must be there in person to pick up your new card, and drop off your old one.

If you do decide to leave, and your PR card expires while you are abroad, you should apply for a travel document for re-entry into Canada.

If you would like further information for your specific situation before you leave, you can contact the CIC Call Centre 1-888-242-2100.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Theresa
Settlement.Org Team

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000