Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | Questions about Permanent Residency
Can I work in Quebec if I have federal PR?
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

vinkaldesai

singapore
11 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2011 :  12:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I applied for Permenant Residency of Canada and landed in Toronto in May 2009. I got the PR card and returned back to my home country in July 2009.

Now I would like to migrate to Montreal and work there. Is it possible for me to directly land in Montreal as I am having PR for Canada?

Can I work anywhere in quebec if as I have PR card. I also got SIN no from Ontario.

Thanks,

Vinkal

Ontario
11893 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  15:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find it helpful to read our Settlment.Org Do I really need the PR Card to travel back to Canada?article. Here is an excerpt:

"According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), no matter how you travel back to Canada, you must satisfy the border services officer that you have valid permanent resident status. This applies to all family members who are permanent residents, including children.

According to CIC and Canada Border Services Agency, a valid PR card is the best proof of your status. You require a valid PR card or a valid Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada by commercial carrier (train, plane, boat or bus). You will not be permitted to board a commercial carrier, if you cannot prove you can enter Canada."

If you do not have a valid PR Card you will need to apply for a Travel Document in order to return to Canada.

So long as you have maintained your residency status, and are not part of any Provincial Nominee Program obligations, you should be able to settle anywhere in Canada as you 'landed' already in 2009.

If you have a valid Social Insurance Number, you are legally entitled to work anywhere in Canada.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Theresa
Settlement.Org Team

vinkaldesai

singapore
11 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2012 :  06:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot theresa for your response.

Sorry for late response it took some time for me to respond back. I think you have "answered" almost all my questions.

I am planning to settle in Montreal,quebec next month March 2012.

Can you please let me know the following.

While coming to Montreal,

1) Do i need to carry any police clearance certificate from all the countries i visited in last year? my perception is that its required only at the time of applying for PR card, but not sure if immigration officer can ask me for Police clearance when i land in montreal.

2) I got SIN card along with PR card in 2009, what do you mean by a "valid" SIN ? I think its the SIN card i am carrying with me. right? or do i need to validate something on my SIN card because i got my SIN card when i last landed in Toronto,Ontario and not sure if same SIN card will work in quebec.

3) From your answer, i believe no CSQ or anything else is required as i am having valid PR card till May 2014.pls confirm.

Thanks in advance.

vinkal

Ontario
11893 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  14:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your question and situation with us.

I believe your post was responded to by another user in the Can Federal PR live in Quebec without CSQ? thread.

You may also find it helpful to read our Settlement.Org What documents should I bring with me when landing in Canada as a new immigrant? article.

Again, so long as you have maintained your residency status, and are not part of any Provincial Nominee Program obligations, you should be able to settle anywhere in Canada as you 'landed' already in 2009. You can contact your nearest Visa Office about your specific situation.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Theresa
Settlement.Org Team

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000