Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Health | Getting Health Care (OHIP)
Applying for OHIP from Abroad
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

DiyaSulaiman

Toronto
4 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  18:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my wife is pregnant and the EDD is 14th of September, we didn't apply for OHIP at the time of landing, we are out of Canda right now,
the question is : can we apply for the OHIP from abroad? or we have to come to Canada in person to do that.

thank you

Diya Sulaiman
Radiology Technologist

Ontario
11763 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2012 :  17:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Thank-you for sharing your situation and questions with us.

According to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's website, you must apply in person at a ServiceOntario centre, if you are applying for OHIP for the first time.

You can find more information in our article, How do I apply for a Health (OHIP) Card?

Note that you may not be eligible for OHIP immediately. Most people who are establishing or re-establishing residence in Ontario must wait 3 months before their OHIP coverage begins.

You can find more information about the waiting period on the Ministry's website.

You may also wish to read our article, I am pregnant and don't have OHIP. What health care can I get?

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Aimee
Settlement.Org Team

krysia

Brampton
1 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2012 :  06:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello my common law partner is a Canadian citizen , we are actually outside Canada on employment contract ,his health card has expired and we are not due to return back to Canada for the moment ,We would like to know how he can renew his card , is there an online form for that purpose ?
Thanks for your answers !!!

Krysia

Ontario
11763 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  10:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Thank-you for sharing your question with us.

Your partner will need to visit a ServiceOntario office to renew his health card because a picture will be taken. This cannot be done online.

Find out more about how to renew a photo health card on the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care's website.

Note that OHIP eligibility depends not only on the validity of the OHIP card but also on residency in Ontario.

Generally, one must reside in Ontario for at least 5 months each year to maintain coverage. In some cases, one can apply to have their coverage maintained if they will be away for a longer period of time but generally this must be arranged before the absence begins.

Find out more about longer absences from Ontario.

If your partner's OHIP coverage has lapsed, he will need to wait 3 months after re-establishing residency before his coverage will begin. You may wish to read our article, How can I pay for health care in my first 3 months in Ontario, or if I don't have OHIP?

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Aimee
Settlement.Org Team

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000