Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Other Discussion Categories | Daily Life
Moving in June 2012 Ontario to BC
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

zn

toronto
1 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2012 :  11:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, we are moving to Nanaimo BC from Ontario. We have 2 kids 8 & 5 years old.

Is health card & drivers license valid in BC?

And what about Child Tax Benefits, do we have to apply? Should we have to inform authorities in Ontario? If yes who?

Do we have to inform Revenue Canada/Ministry of Finance?

Please let us know what we should do for a smooth relocation.

Thanks in advance.
ZN

Ontario
11816 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2012 :  15:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Thank-you for sharing your situation and questions with us.

Health coverage and driver's licences are administered by each province. You must get new health cards and driver's licences after you move to BC.

Health Cards
The BC government's website has information about health coverage when you are moving to BC from another Canadian province.

You also need to notify OHIP of your move. Find more information on their website under the question Do I need to cancel my OHIP coverage if I plan to move to a location outside Ontario?

Find out more about how to apply for BC health coverage on their website.

Driver's Licence
Your Ontario driver's licence is only valid in BC for 90 days after arrival. Then you must drive with an BC driver's licence.

You can get more information on getting a BC driver's licence when moving from a Canadian province.

Child Care Tax Benefit (CCTB)
If you are currently receiving the CCTB, you need to inform Canada Revenue Agency about the change of address. Their website has more information about how to change your address. This is a federal program, so you do not need to inform any authorities in Ontario.

If you want to start getting the CCTB, you can find more information about applying in our Settlement.Org article, How do I apply for the CCTB?

We hope that others will be able to share their relocation experieinces and suggestions with you.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Aimee
Settlement.Org Team

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000