Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Health | Getting Health Care (OHIP)
Health Care for Ont. Resident Moving to BC
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

catster

Markham
1 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2012 :  19:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter is moving from Ontario to BC on April 15th. Unfortunately she had an accident and fractured her wrist on March 14th and her cast can't come off for 6 to 8 weeks. Will she be covered for her cast removal at a fracture clinic in a BC hospital?

Ontario
11811 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2012 :  16:02:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your question and situation with us.

You may find helpful information in our Does OHIP cover me when I am outside Ontario? article. Here is an excerpt:

"The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) pays for most of your health care costs when you are outside of Ontario but still in Canada. OHIP only pays for some services when you travel outside of Canada."

You can find more detailed information on the Ministry of Health's website. It may be helpful to note:

"All provinces and territories participate in reciprocal hospital billing agreements to enable insured residents to receive insured outpatient and insured inpatient hospital services in publicly-funded (i.e., not private) hospitals. You should verify that the hospital participates in a reciprocal hospital billing agreement."

You can contact the ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161 for further information about your daughter's situation.

The BC government's website has information about health coverage when you are moving to BC from another Canadian province.

You also need to notify OHIP of your move. Find more information on their website under the question Do I need to cancel my OHIP coverage if I plan to move to a location outside Ontario?

Find out more about how to apply for BC health coverage on their website.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Theresa
Settlement.Org Team

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000