Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Health | Getting Health Care (OHIP)
OHIP for new immigrants
 Topic Locked
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

cmurillo

Ottawa
2 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  18:20:45  Show Profile
I am new immigrant. Should I apply for OHIP when I get Canada?

Ontario
11830 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2003 :  11:38:58  Show Profile
quote:
I am new immigrant. Should I apply for OHIP when I get Canada?
OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) provides health care coverage for residents of Ontario. If you are coming to Ontario, yes, you should apply for OHIP as soon as you arrive.

You can find more information about how to apply here:

How can I get health care coverage (OHIP)?
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000013

I hope this information is helpful.

=====
Marco
Content Coordinator
Settlement.Org

Nav

NJ
9 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  16:02:22  Show Profile
Has anybody taken health insurance from a private company in toronto(while you are application for provincial health card is still process.I will appreciate if someone can providre details about the price and coverage they have.

Thanks

Ontario
11830 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  16:09:12  Show Profile
quote:
Has anybody taken health insurance from a private company in toronto(while you are application for provincial health card is still process.I will appreciate if someone can providre details about the price and coverage they have.
We do have some contact information of companies offering private health coverage during the OHIP 3-month waiting period here:

Why would I need private health insurance?
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000302

You can contact these companies to find out about their packages and pricing.

However, it would be great to hear from newcomers who have bought private health insurance coverage when they came to Ontario and their experiences with private health insurance companies.

=====
Marco
Content Coordinator
Settlement.Org

Nav

NJ
9 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  00:29:22  Show Profile
I heard that you need to have some utility bill/some kind of bill under your name when you apply for health card. Is it true

I will be staying with my cousin for a while until i get my PR card (then i wiil have to go back to my home country to settle some things).So i am not gonna rent any apartment or take up a phone connection and since its her house ,no utility bill will come on my name.

Please suggest ,Is there anythign else i can show to prove that i live in Ontario when i apply for health card

thanks

Ontario
11830 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  09:05:30  Show Profile
quote:
I heard that you need to have some utility bill/some kind of bill under your name when you apply for health card. Is it true I will be staying with my cousin for a while until i get my PR card (then i wiil have to go back to my home country to settle some things).So i am not gonna rent any apartment or take up a phone connection and since its her house ,no utility bill will come on my name.
A specific listing of documents can be found here:

How can I get health care coverage (OHIP)?
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000013

=====
Marco
Content Coordinator
Settlement.Org

alano

North York
2 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  15:36:39  Show Profile
Related to the question below, I have sponsored my Fiancee who has arrived in Canada within the last two weeks. According to the OHIP application requirements, the new applicants require 3 types of original documents... 1. to show Canadian immigrant status, the record of landing and the confirmation of permanent residence would be used. For the 3rd section, my fiancee's passport from her original country would be used, but for the second point, to show that my fiancee lives in Ontario, there are many suggested documents, such as drivers licence, bank account, utility bill, etc, etc.......all of these documents, would not be available since the person sponsored would only have been in Canada 2 weeks. How would this requirement be met. Would the sponsors residence documents be valid as she is living with me. The confirmation of permanent residence refers to my address.

Please advise if possible, as one cannot get the OHIP information phone number due to the closing last week, and i don't wnat to line up for 6 hours needlessly.

quote:
I heard that you need to have some utility bill/some kind of bill under your name when you apply for health card. Is it true

I will be staying with my cousin for a while until i get my PR card (then i wiil have to go back to my home country to settle some things).So i am not gonna rent any apartment or take up a phone connection and since its her house ,no utility bill will come on my name.

Please suggest ,Is there anythign else i can show to prove that i live in Ontario when i apply for health card

thanks

alangarmstrong

Ontario
11830 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  09:22:45  Show Profile
quote:
For the 3rd section, my fiancee's passport from her original country would be used, but for the second point, to show that my fiancee lives in Ontario, there are many suggested documents, such as drivers licence, bank account, utility bill, etc, etc.......all of these documents, would not be available since the person sponsored would only have been in Canada 2 weeks. How would this requirement be met.
Have your fiancee open a bank account. This is something that is very easy to do and will provide the proof you need in the form of a bank statement.

If you still have concerns, call the Ministry of Health INFOline at 1-800-268-1154 (Toll-free in Ontario only). In Toronto, call 416-314-5518, TTY 1-800-387-5559.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Marco
Content Coordinator
Settlement.Org

Topic Locked
Jump To:

SF2000