Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeSponsoring Family

Sponsorship of parents, children, spouses (common-law, conjugal, same sex), refugees.

Permanent Resident - Child born overseas 

Amjad Bashir
Amjad Bashir

Posted On: 5/2/2003
Amjad Bashir
Amjad Bashir
I am a permenant resident of Canada, but presently living in Middle East.

What is the procedure for sponsoring my new born child?

Where should I contact for the visa/entry permit?
link
shilpa
shilpa

Posted On: 10/7/2014
shilpa
shilpa
Hii...Thank you for detailed procedure. Could you be kind so send me any kind of letter formats hat you prepared & the link to the application forms

My 5 months old daughter just got a Visitor Visa (V1 category) to Canada. It took only 3 days to process. I'm writing down the details of the application and documents we submitted. Both Parents are PR holders and Baby was born in India. Application was submitted in Delhi through VFS. Father lives in Canada and Mother is in India with the baby.

1. Documents attached (Xerox)
• Passport, PR Card, - both parents
• Dr. License (for address proof)
• Employment – Employment Agreement/Contract, Paystubs or cheque (Last 2)
• Finance – Bank Statements (last 3 months)
• Tax – T4 and Notice of Assessments –of the employed parent/s

2. Application Forms filled and Submitted
• Visitor Visa application form: I entered 1 year for the duration of stay under the Details of Visit section along with the reason as ‘Joining Parents’. Entered ‘NA’ for Employment details.
• Family Information form: Details of the applicant (Baby) + Details of both parents.
• VFS Consent form (Only if done through VFS)

3. Letters attached
• Invitation Letter: A formal letter inviting the baby to travel and live with me. Specified where we will live and how to support financially.
• Cover Letter: I stated my intention of sponsoring my daughter as soon as they land here. Also specified that it will be hard to stay without my family. And I stated that should the Visa be denied, I would like to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit as a backup.
• Consent Form for minor to travel with one parent: In my case, my wife will be travelling with the child without me.
4. Processing Days
• Day 1: Submitted at VFS, Delhi
• Day 2: Received at Canadian Consulate
• Day 4: Processed and Dispatched
• Day 5: Passport received with V1 Category Visa (6 months)

link
Vats
Vats

Posted On: 10/11/2014
Vats
Vats
Hello
I am PR of Canada and now me and my wife are in Toronto.
My wife is pregnant of 4 months and we plan to go to India (Home Country)
If we finish baby birth in India and plan to return after 7-8 months what will be procedure of baby PR?
what will be status of baby?
how long the procedure took time?
does baby can get befefits of Canada after reaching here with us? (like school, medical, child benefit etc?
please advise
thanks
link
AMOGHNAIR
AMOGHNAIR

Posted On: 6/10/2015
AMOGHNAIR
AMOGHNAIR
Hello,

I have a small question regarding the temporary resident visa (TRV) for my 2year old child. In briefly I am an international PhD student on a study permit already in montreal, canada for more than a year. My wife is also a student on study permit yet to travel with our daughter who got a V1 visa (she applied for a dependant TRV but got V1 visa).

From what I read from cic website is that the TRV is like a visitor visa and that the validity of TRV and the eligible duration of stay are two different things. The TRV is valid for 3 years but the maximum duration where the child can stay is 6 months as stipulated at the border security by the officer. Then again we have to extend it by reapplying and repaying. Is it how V1 dependant visas work?

So my question is, do I have to do this every 6months? Is this the way to go about this for V1 visitor visa. Please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

My 5 months old daughter just got a Visitor Visa (V1 category) to Canada. It took only 3 days to process. I'm writing down the details of the application and documents we submitted. Both Parents are PR holders and Baby was born in India. Application was submitted in Delhi through VFS. Father lives in Canada and Mother is in India with the baby.

1. Documents attached (Xerox)
• Passport, PR Card, - both parents
• Dr. License (for address proof)
• Employment – Employment Agreement/Contract, Paystubs or cheque (Last 2)
• Finance – Bank Statements (last 3 months)
• Tax – T4 and Notice of Assessments –of the employed parent/s

2. Application Forms filled and Submitted
• Visitor Visa application form: I entered 1 year for the duration of stay under the Details of Visit section along with the reason as ‘Joining Parents’. Entered ‘NA’ for Employment details.
• Family Information form: Details of the applicant (Baby) + Details of both parents.
• VFS Consent form (Only if done through VFS)

3. Letters attached
• Invitation Letter: A formal letter inviting the baby to travel and live with me. Specified where we will live and how to support financially.
• Cover Letter: I stated my intention of sponsoring my daughter as soon as they land here. Also specified that it will be hard to stay without my family. And I stated that should the Visa be denied, I would like to apply for a Temporary Resident Permit as a backup.
• Consent Form for minor to travel with one parent: In my case, my wife will be travelling with the child without me.
4. Processing Days
• Day 1: Submitted at VFS, Delhi
• Day 2: Received at Canadian Consulate
• Day 4: Processed and Dispatched
• Day 5: Passport received with V1 Category Visa (6 months)

link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 6/10/2015
MelM
MelM
Your next step is to apply for a TRP (temporary resident permit) now that the TRV has been refused. If the TRP is refused as well, then one of you will need to travel to Canada first and sponsor your daughter from there while the other parent remains in your home country with your daughter until her PR visa is approved. Make sure you meet the residency requirement when you apply to sponsor your daughter.

You do not need to speak with the visa office to apply for a TRP. To apply, you need to submit a TRV application along with supporting documents to explain why your daughter is inadmissible and why it may be justified for your daughter to enter Canada. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/permits.asp
link
nur183
nur183

Posted On: 8/9/2015
nur183
nur183
Hi Marco and others as relevant,
I have been going through the posts and got some idea. However, let me share my story...

I, my wife and our daughter are the permanent residents to Canada. We landed in 2011 and stayed in Vancouver for 9 months (my wife and daughter) and me for seven and half months. Then we moved to Malaysia and stayed there exactly three years. Meanwhile, our 2nd child a baby boy was born which I tried to inform the CIC.

After a series of emails with CIC, I submitted a sponsorship application for the boy in December 2014. From their 1st feedback I got to know that it will take 30 months. Then I immediately contacted the CIC and I was asked to apply for a Temporary visitor visa. By the time our departure date was coming very close. On May 21, I got to know that my son's visa has been rejected because the visa officer was not convinced to grant him a visitor visa. After a series of immediate faxes, they gave me a clear explanation that...
1. It has been observed that I did not wish to integrate myself in Canada
2. I took a conscious decision of taking a child while living outside Canada and this boy has no status in Canada; there he has no right to travel to Canada
3. I failed to build a proper Canadian ties
4. They also notice that I may face the problem of residency issue

On 1st of July, I got a letter from Mississauga CIC sponsorship that stated that I am not eligible to sponsor as it was launched from outside the Canada. However, they sent the sponsorship application to Singapore via for final decision. After wards, I got an email feedback from Singapore visa office where they acknowledged the receipt of sponsorship application.

Trying everything that went in vain, we (me, my wife and daughter) came to Toronto leaving the boy in Bangladesh. He is just a two years old boy. You can imagine how anxiously we are passing our time here.

After coming here, I just informed the new address in Canada. We have not done anything so far.

Could you please guide me, how to proceed from now on to bring this boy here with us. Do you have any idea how long actually will it take to get him with us!! Thank you in advance for your anticipation.

link
aarifmms
aarifmms

Posted On: 9/6/2015
aarifmms
aarifmms
Hi,

Please also guide me how bring my son to Canada. recently we blessed with baby boy in India.

We both parents are holding PR.

Please share me the forms which you used to bring your child in canada.

Thanks, Aarif

we are also canadian PR.Due to some reasons we had to go back to India and my baby was born over there. We applied for his visitor visa and at the airport in Canada he was give TRP for one month by the immigration and they told us to apply for his PR within this time. We contacted a legal clinic and the lawyer sent our complete sponsorship allication to Missisuage. Now the application status shows Decision Made but we have not received anything in writing,they have mailed it.It took only two months.

shalainder

Aarif
link
rmsB5787
rmsB5787

Posted On: 9/21/2015
rmsB5787
rmsB5787
hello there,

How can I apply my son for PR?
I was 19 when i gave birth 2006 to my son, and my family and I were approved for immigration as PR a year after that 2007. Now my parents (especially my mom as the principal applicant) did not declare that I have a 1 year old son.
I have no control over the decision given that I was not the principal applicant and that my parents want to come to canada asap for personal/family reasons. It was very frustrating on my part because I left my son behind. I really need help.
link
MelM
MelM

Posted On: 9/21/2015
MelM
MelM
Unfortunately you cannot sponsor your son since he was excluded from the PR application. I suppose you can try submitting a Humanitarian & Compassionate (H&C) application. However there is no guarantee this will work. I would recommend you start working with a good immigration lawyer since your case is complicated. Good luck.
link
Axel parker
Axel parker

Posted On: 10/27/2015
Axel parker
Axel parker
Hello moderator,
Thanks for this helpful knowledge and i appreciate.
Thanks

link
Axel parker
Axel parker

Posted On: 10/27/2015
Axel parker
Axel parker

Thanx Marco for such a great help but my question is that from where we get Temporary Resident Permit application on net & what is the fees.I searched whole CIC website but dont find any useful information.

Yes i want to know this quest's answer.
Thanks

link
Canmoods
Canmoods

Posted On: 11/20/2015
Canmoods
Canmoods
hello,
i am a permanent resident living outside canada for more than four years. during this time, i got married in my country and have a son aged 20 months. now i want to settle back in canada. my pr card has expired three months back. i was really sick for the last two years. now my health is back on track. i want to know how can i apply for my husband and baby and for myself to get back to canada? any help would be appreciated.
regards

HS
link
MelM
MelM

MelM
MelM
To try to keep your status, you should apply for a Travel Document and request humanitarian & compassionate consideration (since you haven't met the residency obligation you need to apply under H&C). You should include as much evidence as possible to prove that you ewre ill an unable to return to Canada to meet the residency obligation (you should include evidence like hospitalization records and doctors notes).

If the travel document is refused, you can try to appeal. If the appeal is lost as well, your PR status will be revoked.

If the travel document is approved, you can return to Canada and apply to sponsor your family. Note that you must be in Canada to sponsor your family and must continue living in Canada while their application is in progress. Your family members can try applying for a TRV to travel with you back to Canada and wait as visitors in Canada for their PR applications to be processed. It's quite possible they will not be granted a TRV to accompany you back to Canada. In that case you will have to travel to Canada on your own and be separated from them while their PR application is procesed.
link
PMM
PMM

PMM
PMM
Hi

hello,
i am a permanent resident living outside canada for more than four years. during this time, i got married in my country and have a son aged 20 months. now i want to settle back in canada. my pr card has expired three months back. i was really sick for the last two years. now my health is back on track. i want to know how can i apply for my husband and baby and for myself to get back to canada? any help would be appreciated.
regards

HS

1. It would appear that if you have been outside Canada for 4 years, you haven't met your Residency obligations. You would have to apply for a travel document from a Canadian office overseas. If it is refused, you would have the right of appeal to the Immigration Appeals Division as to why you shouldn't lose your PR status. You would have demonstrate Humanitarian and Compassionate reasons why you weren't able to meet the conditions.
2. Only once you have overcome that hurdle and been issued a TD and are in Canada, can you sponsor your spouse and dependents.

PMM
link
CanadaPRuser
CanadaPRuser

Posted On: 12/23/2015
CanadaPRuser
CanadaPRuser
Hello All,

My wife and I are Canadian PRs and she was the primary applicant while applying. We have a child born overseas and we would like to move to Canada. We have applied for a TRV but it has been rejected. Could any of you take time to answer the following questions.

1. I am planning to go to Canada and sponsor her. I being the dependent PR, can I still sponsor her?
2. In casee I can sponsor, can we apply for TRV while the sponsorship is in process?

Highly appreciate your time.
link