Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeGetting Health Care (OHIP)

Health, including mental health, health card (OHIP), addictions, alternative health...

Right to healthcare for pregnant women without PR 

JulieT
JulieT

Posted On: 1/5/2005
JulieT
JulieT
Hello,

I am British and married to a Canadian citizen. We live in England at the moment but he is looking for a job in Canada. His field is very small, so we will take whatever comes, wherever it is. We have almost no choice in the matter of time or location, but we are hoping to move back to Canada sometime over the summer.

We are hoping to start a family soon, but I will not be covered for even basic healthcare in Canada until my PR papers arrive. If I got pregnant while in Canada but before my PR status was approved, would I be entitled to healthcare? Presumably the baby would be a Canadian citizen and thus entitled to first-class treatment, unlike its mother [;)]. Any advice much appreciated - we don't really want to have to wait for another year and a half before we start trying. I've tried to find advice on the CIC website but it seems to be hidden very well!
link
wenvtc
wenvtc

Posted On: 8/28/2014
wenvtc
wenvtc
Hi,

I've been living in Ottawa since November,2013 with my canadian husband.

We started the sponsorship process in may and we received a letter from CIC saying we needed only one document to process our sponsorship.

I was wondering: I've already have my six months waiting period of residency in Ontario,

I have an Ontario driver's license and that letter from CIC saying the process will continue by providing the missing document, will that be enough to get Health coverage??

I've read so many scenarios that i'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
link