Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | General Citizenship Questions
Renouncing my Citizenship from country of Origin
 Topic Locked
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

rafayali

Toronto
76 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2005 :  23:07:30  Show Profile
1) Is it OK for a permanent resident to renounce their citizenship? I am from Pakistan and wanted to renounce my pakistani citizenship.

2) If I do renounce my Pakistani citizenship, can I get a travel document that would allow me to travel to Pakistan till the time that I get citizenship? The Passport Canada web site lists two travel documents. One is for refugees (which I am not). The other is the Certificate of Identity. According to the site,

"A certificate of identity is a travel document issued to persons legally landed in Canada for less than three years, who are stateless or are unable to obtain a national passport for a valid reason. A certificate of identity is endorsed for travel to countries specified in the document."

Would I qualify if I renounce my pakistani citizenship?

Rafay Bin Ali
http://rafayali.blogspot.com

wongn

Markham
1195 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  10:58:11  Show Profile
Just for my curiosity... why do you wish to renounce your pakistani citizenship?

rafayali

Toronto
76 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  12:07:57  Show Profile
It's pretty simple. What's the point in having dual citizenship? If I wanted to stay in Pakistan, why would I even bother applying for canadian PR? The way I see it, a person cannot pledge allegiance to more than one nation at the same time. It would be hypocritical on my part if I maintained both my Pakistani and Canadian citizenship - sort of takes the flavor out of the oath that you take.

Rafay Bin Ali

PMM

Vancouver
2315 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  13:17:47  Show Profile
Hi

quote:

1) Is it OK for a permanent resident to renounce their citizenship? I am from Pakistan and wanted to renounce my pakistani citizenship.

2) If I do renounce my Pakistani citizenship, can I get a travel document that would allow me to travel to Pakistan till the time that I get citizenship? The Passport Canada web site lists two travel documents. One is for refugees (which I am not). The other is the Certificate of Identity. According to the site,

"A certificate of identity is a travel document issued to persons legally landed in Canada for less than three years, who are stateless or are unable to obtain a national passport for a valid reason. A certificate of identity is endorsed for travel to countries specified in the document."

Would I qualify if I renounce my pakistani citizenship?

Rafay Bin Ali

You would have difficulties as this would make you a stateless person by your own violition and the passport office may not issue you a travel document.

PMM

PMM

coupleapt

Toronto
10 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  14:23:52  Show Profile
No, as a permanent resident you must keep your citizenship.

Keep in mind also that some countries have different regulations and in some nations you CAN'T legally renounce your citinizenship. You would have to check the laws of your country once you obtain your Canadian citinzenship.

PMM

Vancouver
2315 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  14:43:25  Show Profile
Hi

quote:

Keep in mind also that some countries have different regulations and in some nations you CAN'T legally renounce your citinizenship. You would have to check the laws of your country once you obtain your Canadian citinzenship.

Heres what the Pakistan Gov't web site saids about renunciation.

"Renunciation of Pakistan Citizenship

Any citizen pf Pakistan residing outside Pakistan, who is not a minor and is also a citizen or national of another country or has been given by the competent authority of another country any valid document assuring him/her of the grant of citizenship or nationality of that other country, shall make a declaration of renunciation of citizenship of Pakistan in Form X (in duplicate) to the Directorate General Immigration & Passports Islamabad through Pakistan Mission abroad."

Therefor not a Canadian citizen, no renunciation.

PMM

PMM

rafayali

Toronto
76 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  22:09:19  Show Profile
Thanks PMM. I guess that option's out for me. Thanks all of you again.

Rafay Bin Ali

rafayali

Toronto
76 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  00:56:56  Show Profile
quote:

Hi

quote:

Any citizen pf Pakistan residing outside Pakistan, who is not a minor and is also a citizen or national of another country or has been given by the competent authority of another country any valid document assuring him/her of the grant of citizenship or nationality of that other country, shall make a declaration of renunciation of citizenship of Pakistan in Form X (in duplicate) to the Directorate General Immigration & Passports Islamabad through Pakistan Mission abroad."

PMM

Hi PMM, thanks for taking time out of your schedule to find this info for me. Just one thing, with reference to the quoted text in red above. Wouldn't a PR Card qualify as a document that assures me of citizenship, assuming that I fulfill the residency requirements which I definitely intend on doing.

Rafay Bin Ali

wongn

Markham
1195 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  13:09:08  Show Profile
Rafay,

I think you answered your own question. Simply being a permanent resident (having a PR card) doesn't assure you of being granted citizenship. Because you can be a PR and never qualify to be a citizenship of Canada, because of the stricter residency requirements for citizenship.

PMM

Vancouver
2315 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2005 :  13:16:01  Show Profile
Hi

quote:

quote:

Hi

quote:

PMM

Hi PMM, thanks for taking time out of your schedule to find this info for me. Just one thing, with reference to the quoted text in red above. Wouldn't a PR Card qualify as a document that assures me of citizenship, assuming that I fulfill the residency requirements which I definitely intend on doing.

Rafay Bin Ali

Nope, PRs are not guaranteed citizenship, they also can be removed from Canada, whereas citizens can't (except if they recieved it under false pretenses)

PMM

rafayali

Toronto
76 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  06:39:25  Show Profile
Ok thanks wongn and PMM. I appreciate it.

Rafay Bin Ali

Topic Locked
Jump To:

SF2000