Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | Permanent Resident Card
Permanent Resident Card Expiry Date
 Topic Locked
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

Sriramwins

Scarborough
1 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  00:43:11  Show Profile
Hi,
I became a permanent resident in June 2001 , and got my new PR card in July 2003. The card carries an expiry date of July 2008.I am currently in India and plan to return back to Canada in Mar 2006. So i presume that i would still meet the obligation of being physically present in Canada for 730 days before 2008. Could someone answer this question.

The expiry date printed on the PR card is the same as the expiry date of my permanent residence?I looked up the website but it doesnt explain the significanceof the expiry date on the PR Card.

Also Have i made any wrong assumptions with regards to fullfilling my obligation?

Please Reply.

Thanks
Sriram

wongn

Markham
1195 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2005 :  07:38:34  Show Profile
Sriram,

You have made the wrong assumption with regards to fullfilling your residency obligation for PR. The expiry date on the PR Card has nothing to do with your residency obligation to maintain PR.

If you are outside of Canada for more than 3 years in any given 5 year period, measured from the day when you re-enter Canada, than you have lost your PR status.

So in your example, if you are planning to return to Canada in March 2006, then look back 5 years from that date and if you are not in Canada for more than 730 days within that 5 year period, then you have lose your PR status.

For more information about the residency requirements for PR, see the following link:

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000181

khan15

toronto
25 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  19:21:54  Show Profile
Hi Wongn,

I am not sure I understand the residency obligations. Does it mean that if I became PR today (Dec 6,2005) then I would not be able to leave Canada for the next 730 days? Assuming that I was not in Canada before becoming a PR, which is the case for most of us.

Thanks for your reply.
Khan

quote:

Sriram,

You have made the wrong assumption with regards to fullfilling your residency obligation for PR. The expiry date on the PR Card has nothing to do with your residency obligation to maintain PR.

If you are outside of Canada for more than 3 years in any given 5 year period, measured from the day when you re-enter Canada, than you have lost your PR status.

So in your example, if you are planning to return to Canada in March 2006, then look back 5 years from that date and if you are not in Canada for more than 730 days within that 5 year period, then you have lose your PR status.

For more information about the residency requirements for PR, see the following link:

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000181

marco

Toronto
633 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  19:44:48  Show Profile
quote:
I am not sure I understand the residency obligations. Does it mean that if I became PR today (Dec 6,2005) then I would not be able to leave Canada for the next 730 days? Assuming that I was not in Canada before becoming a PR, which is the case for most of us.
Not exactly.

Permanent residents must live in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in any 5-year period or they can lose their status.

In practical terms, this means that if you leave Canada and come back into the country in 2007, an Immigration Officer will assess if you have spent at least 2 years in Canada between 2002 and 2007.

However, you would have been a permanent resident for less than five years. So, you would have to demonstrate to an immigration official, at examination, that you will be able to meet the residency obligation in the five-year period immediately after you were to re-enter Canada.

So, in your case, if you became a Permanent Resident today and left the country for a period of time, you would have to be able to show to an immigration official that you would be able to be in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) between now and December 6, 2010.

Find out more by following the link that wongn provided and read this as well:

Your status as a permanent resident
http://www.settlement.org/sys/guides_detail.asp?faq_id=4000578

======
Marco
Settlement.Org Content Coordinator, CIRS

khan15

toronto
25 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  10:36:38  Show Profile
Thank you for your guidance Marco. I think now I get it.
Khan

dunjabelan

vancouver
1 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  22:48:22  Show Profile
I am outside Canada, my passport was stolen, got a new one, and the PRC is expired on 01 of MAY 2008. I meet the residency obligation but how can I proof it without the passport.

dunja radonic

Creuza

Toronto
9 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  11:12:29  Show Profile
Marco, could you answer me a question?

You mentioned that: "Immigration Officer will assess if you have spent at least 2 years in Canada"

The question is: Do you know HOW the Canadian Immigration system controls WHEN an immigrant leave the country? I know there is a control when the immigrant re-entry because in this moment the immigrant Officer swipe the PR Card, the PR card is not swiped. The only check list is done in the passport (that is not canadian yet).

As I can see, the only way immigration knows how many days immigrants stayed out is asking them at the re-entrance moment. I know they always ask this question "How many days you stayed out of the country"?

I wonder hear from you.

badger

toronto
16 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  20:07:45  Show Profile
It works the other way round. It is not up to them to prove that you have been out of the country . If your residency obligation is called under question , YOU have to prove that you have met it.

moody11432

Toronto
11 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  14:33:30  Show Profile
Hi All,

I have the following questions and I need your assistance:

1-When shall we apply for PR card renewal? One week or we can apply two months before the expiry date.
2- How long does it take to renew the PR Card? one month or it can be more.
3- Time it takes for renewal does it differ from place to place?
4- When I send my application for renewal, do I have to submit proof that I met the residency requirements or they will do their own investigation.
5- Is there an interview for PR renewal and teh case can be referrred to the judge like citizenship?

I really appreciate this site which help us to share with our knowledge and experience.

Moody

Topic Locked
Jump To:

SF2000