Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Housing | Landlord and Tenant Information and Issues
Noise Laws for Apartment Living
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

LadyDizee

Kitchener
1 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  09:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in an apartment building with 90% seniors who have lived here for years and although I am no spring chicken myself I find they complain about everything that doesn't suit them.
I got a knock on my door yesterday and it was an elderly couple who apparently live above me. They asked that I keep my music turned down because it bothers them.
I hear tv's blaring because people are hard of hearing and all kinds of noises, especially a dog who barks constantly outside but I wouldn't think to complain. It's all part of apartment Living.... or so I thought.
What are my rights regarding playing my music at I think a normal level.??? Can we not do whatever we like up until 11PM in our own unit?
Please advise.

moderator2

Toronto
207 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  12:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the most part, and in most municipalities, you are free to make noise during reasonable hours.

Unfortunately your neighbours are also free to complain to you, even if you are not doing anything illegal.

Of course, there is a difference between an informal complaint to you, and a formal one to the police. If you make an unreasonable amount of noise late at night or very early in the morning, your neighbours may be able to call the police with a noise complaint. However, it does not sound like this is the case in your situation.

Since you are perfectly within your rights to make noise, and your neighbours within theirs to complain to you, perhaps it would be best to see if you can come to a compromise - deciding on times and noise levels that are acceptable to both you and those around you.

We hope that you have found this information helpful. For further information, feel free to update us on your situation, or ask for clarification.

----------------
Fraser
Content Development Coordinator
Settlement.Org

shafkat_alam

Toronto
1 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  21:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What time of day is cosidered by law as "reasonable hours" for listenting to loud music or watch tv?

I got a written complain and notice of eviction of loud noise around 8 am in the morning.

Is loud noise a legal ground for an eviction notice?

Please advice.

Thanks

DavidAugie

Toledo
1 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2009 :  13:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in a situation similar to LadyDizie.

A building of 12 units.

Each in groups of two are mirrored images of the on adjacent.

Therefore, my bedroom wall is also their bedroom wall where my stereo, TV and PC are (I live in my bedroom).

I am 39 as of this date, my adjacent neighbors are much older.

I play music that I feel isn't really "that" loud. the landlord says they say their pictures are vibrating.

I don't play my music 'loudly' after 10PM.

The landlord has contacted me a few times about the issue.

Now, I have been threatened with eviction from the landlord and the landlord stated the the adjacent neighbor warned the landlord of physical violence towards me if the music doesn't stop.

The neighbor has never spoken to me directly about anything.

They have also complained about when my children visit, the noise they make is disturbing them also.

I would like to live not in a prison in my own home(apartment).

What are my right's and laws dealing with this/these issues?

shjcase

Denver
1 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2012 :  00:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am in a situation similar to LadyDizie.

A building of 12 units.

My opinion, let me get it straight.

Everyone lives in an apartment should be courteous to others. I used to live in an apartment, whenever I listened to the music or watched TV, I always put my wireless headphones on.

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000