Settlement.org logo

Register
Lost password

HomeLandlord and Tenant Information and Issues

Landlord/tenant rights, dealing with problems, where to get help...

Noise complaint from neighbor – not reasonable 

Martha
Martha

Posted On: 1/26/2007
Martha
Martha
We live in an apartment building in the top floor. The neighbor living underneath sent a complaint to the landlord about walking noises with heavy shoes. The apartment has wood floors and no carpets. The landlord sent to us a notice asking to put some carpeting in our apartment in order to reduce the noise.

We keep hearing noises from the neighbors, vacuum, music, exercise machines, etc. but we think they are normal noises since the building is quite old. What can we do in this case? Is it possible to get an ‘eviction notice’ if the woman keep complaining?. Is it possible to get evicted for walking? Do we need to respond to this letter stating our position? We don’t make parties, we don’t hear loud music, we work all day and just walk and live in our apartment. We think this complain is not reasonable, what can we do?
link
2525forever
2525forever

Posted On: 11/20/2015
2525forever
2525forever
Hello,

I lived on an apartment, I have two kids aged 5 years old and 19 months. Honestly, my kids are very active and energetic, but I am not u reasonable person who lets my own kids to create too much noise. And most especially at night time. Well hereis the thing, the people who lived upstairs on my apartment keeps on knocking and banging their floors towards our roof...
So one night me and my husband and my kids are singing and having some family fun and laughing, on our bed, and then they banged again. Then the worse one was when I got home from work, as I enter our soor my daughter(5 yr old) was crying and told me mommy can we moved to different house? And so I was terrified why? Because the people upstairs are banging again! Well seriously! My kids are afraid and losing their right as a kid and even as a normal humans... If its only me I don't care hut then I can see to my kids eyes that they were frightened! So can someone tell me an advice or where to seek help? Thank you!
link
odetta21
odetta21

Posted On: 1/3/2016
odetta21
odetta21
I am currently living in an apartment building for
3 years me and my family have been living here. My worst nightmare is the people above me. The kids are playing sucker all different times of the nights, throwing furniture across the living room, dad plays his music at all times in the nights . I have made several complaints to the land Lord I even go upstairs to knock on the door. But this is still happening. I work as a Health care provider and have to be at work for 7:30 in the Mornings while my husband leaves home at 4am to get to work with hardly any sleep. I really need some help here.
link