Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Housing | Landlord and Tenant Information and Issues
Noise complaint from neighbor – not reasonable
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

Martha

Toronto
1 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  09:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We live in an apartment building in the top floor. The neighbor living underneath sent a complaint to the landlord about walking noises with heavy shoes. The apartment has wood floors and no carpets. The landlord sent to us a notice asking to put some carpeting in our apartment in order to reduce the noise.

We keep hearing noises from the neighbors, vacuum, music, exercise machines, etc. but we think they are normal noises since the building is quite old. What can we do in this case? Is it possible to get an ‘eviction notice’ if the woman keep complaining?. Is it possible to get evicted for walking? Do we need to respond to this letter stating our position? We don’t make parties, we don’t hear loud music, we work all day and just walk and live in our apartment. We think this complain is not reasonable, what can we do?

moderator2

Toronto
207 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  10:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Martha,

This problem comes up very frequently on or discussion area - on both sides of the problem! You can read about a few different experiences below:

Loud Neighbours

Noise Laws for Apartment Living

What are my Rights - Neighbours below

Generally, tenants are allowed to make reasonable noise during reasonable hours of the day. If the noises that you or your neighbours are making are "unreasonable" and stop other tenants from enjoying the property, (constant loud music, heavy machinery, etc,) it is sometimes possible for a landlord to apply to terminate the tenancy. Serious noise disturbance complaints, especially late at night, are handled by the police.

However, from the way you describe the situation, neither of you are making unreasonable noise. It may be worth speaking with your landlord to see if there is a mutually convenient way of resolving the situation. At the very least, you should not be responsible for purchasing carpeting in order to make the floors quieter.

If the situation becomes more serious, you may wish to seek some legal advice. In that case, it may be best to speak to a Community Legal Clinic. Click here to learn about Community Legal Clinics, and to find one near you.

We hope that you have found this information helpful. For further information, feel free to update us on your situation, or ask for clarification.

----------------
Fraser
Content Development Coordinator
Settlement.Org

daisy101

Burlington
1 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  14:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have similar problems. I moved into a fairly old building one month before I gave birth. I had problems with the superintendent before moving in fully but nothing major just a few words back and forth. Once my daughter came I began getting bangs on the walls and the superintendent coming to my door screaming at the top of her lungs at me, also getting notes. I had dropped a glass baby bottle during the night and this had woke her up which I agree can be quite loud and annoying but there was no need for the language and the tone of voice in which she spoke to me. I have had the superintendent's boyfriend scream at me over the intercom for absolutely ridiculous reasons. I hate to say this but I believe that they are racist, and this may be one of their main reasons for targeting me and my family. My daughter is now almost two but she doesn’t get to play like a normal child in my apartment she doesn’t like it when the superintendent comes to the door to yell at me for her dropping toys or running around the apartment. I have already been to the tenant board and went to a hearing about this issue but it still hasn’t made any difference. I have also called the police one evening when my daughter was extremely sick and stayed up most of the night she did not move from sitting on the couch until my mother went to the bathroom my daughter decided to follow and run down the hallway all or a sudden there was banging at the door almost like she was breaking the door down we tried to explain but she didn’t want to hear what we had to say. I have also had visitors over from England and they were also harassed by her on more than one occasion, how I can invite people over when they will be harassed by my superintendent. I am at a loss, I don’t want to leave the place I am living because I love the area it is close to everything that I need. Can someone help me?

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000