Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Other Discussion Categories | Daily Life
Child Tax Benefit - Refugee Claimant
 Topic Locked
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

reynhard

toronto
3 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  09:34:27  Show Profile
Hi,

I'm a refugee claimant here in canada maybe someone can give me an advise about child benefit tax. I have children under 18 yr of age, my question is am I eligible applying child tax benefit and how to apply it? Fyi I have my SIN # already...thanks

Ontario
11952 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2007 :  15:32:23  Show Profile
Hello there,

You can find information on the Canada Child Tax Benefit and eligibility here:

What is the Canada Child Tax Benefit?
http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_detail.asp?faq_id=4000396

Here is an excerpt,

"Who Can Receive the CCTB?
You have to be the person who is mainly responsible for the care and upbringing of the child. This means you would be responsible for such things as watch over the child's daily activities and needs, making sure the child's medical needs are met, and arranging for child care when necessary. If the female parent lives with the child, the government usually consider her to be this person. However, it can be the father, a grandparent, or a guardian.

You have to live with the child and be a resident of Canada for income tax purposes.

In addition, you and/or your spouse or common-law partner must be one of the following:

*Canadian citizen;

*permanent resident (landed immigrant) under the Immigration Act and Regulations;

*Convention refugee under the Immigration Act and Regulations; or

*visitor to Canada or a holder of a minister's permit under the Immigration Act and Regulations who has lived in Canada throughout the previous 18 months and has a valid permit in the 19th month (other than one that states "does not confer status")."

If you are a Convention Refugee or a Protected Person, you need to provide a certified copy of the notice of decision.

For additional information we suggest that you contact the Canada Child Tax Benefit Information Line here:

1-800-387-1193

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Anna
Settlement.Org Content Coordinator, CIRS
Settlement.Org

Topic Locked
Jump To:

SF2000