Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Permanent Residents and Citizenship | Living in Ontario
Requirements for Full G License
 Topic Locked
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

chayv12

Singapore
16 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  21:49:13  Show Profile
Dear Moderator,

I understand that for a new permanent resident to qualify for the full G (I note that this is the highest level) driving test, he or she must provide evidence of more than two years of driving experience to the relevant test centre (please correct me if I'm wrong).

In this respect, would a letter from the relevant land transport authority in the country of origin do or must it be a letter from the embassy or consulate? An early reply would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Best regards.

pmg

Mississauga
103 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  00:12:15  Show Profile
These are the conditions for a driving license in Ontario
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/index.html

These area the requirements for other Countries
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/exchange.htm

You can also read these FAQ
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/exchange-faq.htm

Hope this helps

Patricia

chayv12

Singapore
16 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  20:35:39  Show Profile
Dear Patricia,
Many thanks for the information.

Best regards.

chayv12

Singapore
16 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  21:00:50  Show Profile
Dear Patricia / Moderator,
I need some further clarification. We currently have a system here in Singapore whereby a driver can simply go into the Traffic Police website and obtain a printout (with the letterhead of the Traffic Police Authorities but of course this is not signed since it is system generated), termed a certificate of merit which essentially indicates whether the driver has had a clean driving record for the last 3 years. Additionally, there is also another printout detailing the class of license of the driver indicating its validity. Finally, our driving license card details the date whereby the driver passed his / her test and obtained the license for the relevant class of vehicles.

Hence, with the above-mentioned documents, would these suffice as good-enough verification for the more than 2 years of driving experience.

Would appreciate if you could assist in clarifying this point for me.

Many thanks in advance for your kind assistance and best regards.

Rodeo

Mississauga
48 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  00:00:33  Show Profile
Chavy 12, a Singapore driving licence holder need to sit for a driving test just like a new driver here in Canada. The only exception is if you get your G1 you need not wait for a period of time to take your G2/G. I have driving experience of more then 30years in Singapore and I still had to go through the same process. Email me if you need more info.

chayv12

Singapore
16 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  22:54:26  Show Profile
Hi Rodeo,
Thanks for your input. But are you saying then that even if we obtain a written letter from the Traffic Police on our years of driving experience in Singapore, this would not count in any way towards the attainment of the full G license as a start (I am aware of course that we would have to sit for the driving test like everyone else - it's just that I was under the impression that this verification from the authorities would enable a quicker way to attain the full G license as opposed to waiting for a few years). Would appreciate if you could clarify this point.

Many thanks & best regards.

Rodeo

Mississauga
48 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  08:38:19  Show Profile
Hi Chayv12, no matter what, you have to sit for the driving test here in Canada, like any other new driver. The difference is you are permitted to take the G test afer your G2 without any waiting time restriction. I took my G2 and the next day I took my G test.

Crudrud

Kingston
48 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  11:01:01  Show Profile
Dear Chayv12,

I believe you are correct. A driver abstract would speed things up as this is essentially confirmation of the type of license, conditions of the license, experience, etc you have from your country of origin.
when I got my G1 I was told beforehand that it was best to provide this from my country's consulate office in order to jump start things. I was also told that it would reduce the cost as well. However I suspect there may be a cost attached to getting this letter.

quote:

Hi Rodeo,
Thanks for your input. But are you saying then that even if we obtain a written letter from the Traffic Police on our years of driving experience in Singapore, this would not count in any way towards the attainment of the full G license as a start (I am aware of course that we would have to sit for the driving test like everyone else - it's just that I was under the impression that this verification from the authorities would enable a quicker way to attain the full G license as opposed to waiting for a few years). Would appreciate if you could clarify this point.

Many thanks & best regards.

cruddock

pmg

Mississauga
103 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  14:11:44  Show Profile
This is how the license process works
1 - During the first 60 days in Ontario, you can use your own driving license.
2 - Your will need your driving license (the one you are bringing form your Country) translated to English. If this license is stating clearly that you are a licensed car driver for more than 2 years, you don't need other documents. Actually, the MTO will not accept additional documents
3 - As soon as you start the process, you should sit for the written test. To prepare yourself for this test, there is a book.
4 - If you pass the written test you get a G2 license that is more or less useless for driving purposes (you can't drive alone, etc)
5 - In this stage is where the two years will make a difference--> As you are supposed to be an experienced driver (more than two years) you are entitled to make the road test for a G license directly, without the G1 drive test. But.... don't smile yet!!... you are entitled to do this only once [:(] If you fail, you should do the G1 drive test and after you pass the G1, you can do the G drive test

So, as you see, recommendation letters are useless, you need only to show the two years of experience (they don't care if the experience is good or not... [:)]..)

Most of the people I know fail the "direct G test". When I came to Canada, I had more than 20 years of experience (certified), no tickets, and I had a recommendation letter from my insurance company. All was useless, two years or 20 years don't make any difference
My advice? want to save money with the driver license? go to a driving school. Not only you will pass the test at once, but you will get a nice discount in your car's insurance

Hope this helps

Patricia

pmg

Mississauga
103 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  15:09:56  Show Profile
By the way, now that I am reading the post of the user "Crudrud", I am remembering that, during our immigration process we were told (by the Consulate) to get the letters, including the driving and insurance records, etc... but at least in Ontario, these letters are useless

These are the conditions as per the MTO website (see links in my first post
Requirements for all driver's licence applicants:

All applicants for an Ontario driver's licence are required to present a valid foreign driver's licence (if it is not in English or French, it is to be accompanied by a written translation from a qualified translator), pass a vision test and a written knowledge test regarding Ontario's traffic rules, pay all applicable fees, and provide acceptable proof of identity.
Applicants who fulfil these requirements can obtain a G1 licence.
All applicants must declare their driving experience on the driver's licence application form.
Applicants are required to provide adequate proof of foreign driving experience. However, if that is not possible, the ministry will accept applicants' declaration of their foreign driving experience on the driver's licence application for up to a maximum of 12 months experience.
This policy only applies to applicants for Class G licences.

Patricia

Rodeo

Mississauga
48 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  15:46:09  Show Profile
The G1 is what we call in Singapore the Highway Code, the road signs etc you must know. If you take the G direct and you fail then you will start with the G2 and the process. This is why I took the G2 and then onto G. Incase I fail G2, I can repeat my G2 and onto G without wasting time, waiting. I was driving with my international driving licence at this time but a rented car since I could not get insurance coverage. I only showed my Singapore driver's licence when I applied since it is stated there when you first obtain your licence.

chayv12

Singapore
16 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  20:23:48  Show Profile
Dear All,
I am truly appreciative of all the feedback received on my queries. It is really very helpful information. I now know how I should proceed when I get to Ontario.....many thanks for all the input.

Best regards.

Newborn

Singapore
5 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  02:23:51  Show Profile
quote:

This is how the license process works
1 - During the first 60 days in Ontario, you can use your own driving license.
2 - Your will need your driving license (the one you are bringing form your Country) translated to English. If this license is stating clearly that you are a licensed car driver for more than 2 years, you don't need other documents. Actually, the MTO will not accept additional documents
3 - As soon as you start the process, you should sit for the written test. To prepare yourself for this test, there is a book.
4 - If you pass the written test you get a G2 license that is more or less useless for driving purposes (you can't drive alone, etc)
5 - In this stage is where the two years will make a difference--> As you are supposed to be an experienced driver (more than two years) you are entitled to make the road test for a G license directly, without the G1 drive test. But.... don't smile yet!!... you are entitled to do this only once [:(] If you fail, you should do the G1 drive test and after you pass the G1, you can do the G drive test

So, as you see, recommendation letters are useless, you need only to show the two years of experience (they don't care if the experience is good or not... [:)]..)

Most of the people I know fail the "direct G test". When I came to Canada, I had more than 20 years of experience (certified), no tickets, and I had a recommendation letter from my insurance company. All was useless, two years or 20 years don't make any difference
My advice? want to save money with the driver license? go to a driving school. Not only you will pass the test at once, but you will get a nice discount in your car's insurance

Hope this helps

Patricia

Hi Patricia

How long and what is the fee can I expect to get a full G license if I'll to go with a driving school as recommended. I've been driving for more than 15 yrs with no bad driving record and do I've to go for the G1 follow by the G2 road test if I go with the driving shool also? How much discount can we expect from the insurance co? Can you recommend any reputable driving schools in Mississauga or nearby? Pls assist.

Best Regards

pmg

Mississauga
103 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  15:45:55  Show Profile
Hi newborn,

I got my first driver license in 1976, so, when I landed in Canada (2001), I had a record of 25 years, without a single ticket. I had a second driver license from the second country I lived, from 1989, without tickets. So, make the math. However I failed the test.
In my opinion we, the "old" drivers, have some driving habits, most of them are not in the book [:)], and the driving test is all about the book and how you follow it
So a driving school will teach you new "good" habits

The first rule: use a driving school authorized by the MTO or you will not get the discount certificate
You can see a complete list, (you can select by the name of the city) in this page
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/gradu/approve.htm
This is the one I went:
Ultimate Drivers of Canada
3173 Erindale Station Road, Unit 101, Mississauga ON L5C 1Y5 905-848-6565
The fee was something about Can$ 350.00 (but this was in 2003)

I got a discount of 25% in my insurance

Good luck!!!

Patricia

Newborn

Singapore
5 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  02:30:42  Show Profile
Dear Patricia,

Thanks for your prompt response. How many lessons did you attend at that time before attemping the road test? Why is insurance company giving discount to car owner from driving school. I'm now looking into what car to purchase and wondering should I get a brand new car or a second hand car which may be less than 3 yrs old. How does insurance cost a different for both new and old cars. How many cc/litres and kind of car (saloon,SUV,MPV etc)is ideal to travel comfortably on the road especially during winter. What car are you driving currently and which are the popular car now? Sorry to load you with so much questions as we from summer country and never experience driving on snowy road. Hope you can assist.

Thank you.

Newborn

ngr

spore
25 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  11:18:19  Show Profile
Dear Rodeo:

I am from Singapore. I studied in Canada and in the United States more than 20 years ago. I had a licence from Illinois/USA ( now expired) after having changed from my initial licence in Quebec/Canada to Minnesota/USA to Illinois/USA.

I have been living in Singapore for more than 20 years with clean driving record and an active valid licence.

Can I just show my expired Illinois/USA licence together with my valid & active Singapore licence to be converted into an Ontario licence straightaway without having to go through the whole process, perhaps, only to take the written Ontario test and eyesight test? What are my chances and how do I go about it?

ngr

ngr

spore
25 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2008 :  14:23:09  Show Profile
Dear Rodeo:

I have a UK Full Driving Licence and a Singapore Driving Licence. Can I convert into Full "G" Ontario Licence without going through the process of G1 and G2 Licences?

I understand UK Full Driving Licence can be converted automatically into Canadian Driving Licence. Please clarify. Thanks.

ngr

Topic Locked
Jump To:

SF2000