Discussion Forum

To post messages and use great My Settlement features, please sign-up or login.

Search Discussions

All Forums | Health | Finding a Doctor or other health care professional
Transfer of medical records
 Reply to Topic
Topic Tools: Bookmark | Print 
Author Topic  

wongn

Markham
1195 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  18:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife is not satisfied by her current GP and have found another GP who is accepting new patients. The old clinic she is leaving behind is charging $200 to transfer her medical records. Is this fee reasonable, and is it covered by OHIP?

Ontario
11895 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  16:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Wongn,

Thanks for sharing your wife's situation with us. This is an excellent question.

According to the College of Physicians and Surgeons, the Ontario Medical Association has recommended guidelines for fees that doctors can charge to transfer medical records.

Their guidelines are:

$35.36 for the first 1-5 pages
$1.37 for each page after that

These are only recommended guidelines and doctors can charge a flat fee which may be a bit less.

The reason they charge is because they send copies and keep the originals. They must keep the originals on file for ten years from the last entry date.

You may want to confirm this information or receive additional information from an advisor at the College of Physicians and Surgeons here:

416-967-2615

You may also want to contact the Ontario Medical Association. You can find some contact information here:

Ontario Medical Association
http://www.oma.org/

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions and if there is any follow up to your question/situation.

=====
Anna
Settlement.Org Content Coordinator, CIRS
Settlement.Org

petitemonde

Mississauga
1 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  18:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am Maria and living in Mississauga, Ontario and 5 months pregnant. I have just come across about this topic of transferring a medical records through this site (http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2002/jul/vol48-jul-letters-1.asp). I found this very relevant in my current issue.

Recently, my husband and I just found new family physician and we were asked to sign a form of transferring of records to be requested to our prior family physician. The form was sent to the prior doctor last week and 2 days ago I have recieve a call from our prior doctor's clinic (her secretary). We are informed that we have to pay for the service (1st 5 pages would be $35.00 and any excess page will be 1.30 each). And we truly understand that part.

However, what I don't understand is that,we are obliged to pick-up the documents personally. Should they be sending out the documents to my/our new doctor?

The secretary that I talked with said, I have to pick up myself all the documents and pay for the charges/fees at the same time. Documents will only be printed out at the time I would go there personally to pick it up and pay for it. I told her should they be sending out to my new doctor instead? And I would just go to their clinic later to pay for the transfer fees. This is what she answered , "I don't understand why new physician would need a copy of these records when it is your OBygne who would need the records. What you need to do is to come here in our clinic prior to your first appointment with your OBgyne on (August 26, 2010) because you have to get those original documents and you will have to hand it over to OBgnye. And not to your new family physician.

My question is, is it not that they be forwarding those orig documents to my OBGYNE instead and not for me to take the responsibility?

My new family physician told us that all we have to do is to fill up the release of records form and her clinic will do the rest. She said I don't have to go to her clinic before my appointment to OBgyne on August 26 just to get those orig documents because she said once she receive my/our records from our prior doctor, she will just faxe all the necessary documents to my OBgyne's clinic. So I am confused now. Which one is right?. The prior doctor told me that I have to drop by to her clinic and pick up all the necessary documents to be given to my OBgyne. But the new physician said , I don't have to that because she will be the one to forward all the records to my OBgyne's clininc once she recieve my records from the prior doctor. The problem is that, our medical records will not be forwarded to our new physician if we're not going to the prior doctor's clinic to pick up the documents ourselves (personally). T
Any advice that you can give about this please? and thank you so much

Fel

navin2004

Toronto
20 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2011 :  10:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Maria,

Let us know what happened with your situation. My wife will be in the same boat.
She did not have a GP, so we went to walk in clinic end of Nov 2010 to get the pregnancy test done. At that time got a referral from them for a Gynac. We were lucky to find one accepting new patients, but the first appointment they gave was in Feb 2011, by when my wife will be in her 4th month. Till then the gynac says you have to go to your family doctor. They referred us to one in there building and my wife went there in Jan 2011 third week. But we did not like her office timings, just 4 hrs per day and only 2 days a week as she is still doing her residency. But on her first visit the doctor asked my wife to do some prenatal tests and we had only like 2-3 days to get them done as they are to be done before 13 weeks.
My wife did those tests and the lab said the reports will be sent only to the doctor who sent the requisition, they cannot send to another doctor.
My doctor has now settled on using my family physician as her primary physician. So we will now be stuck with getting records for these tests transferred from the GP she went for just one visit.
It really sucks that as patients we don't get access to our own records and that we have to pay $35 bucks for just 5 pages of records.
Our first child was born in US and when we moved to Canada, the Gynac she went to gave us each and every record(running into some 50 pages) for free. The record keeping there and customer service is so much better than in Ontario.

This is our first time going through child birth here in Ontario and we are not having any fun already.

quote:

Hi,
I am Maria and living in Mississauga, Ontario and 5 months pregnant. I have just come across about this topic of transferring a medical records through this site (http://www.cfpc.ca/cfp/2002/jul/vol48-jul-letters-1.asp). I found this very relevant in my current issue.

Recently, my husband and I just found new family physician and we were asked to sign a form of transferring of records to be requested to our prior family physician. The form was sent to the prior doctor last week and 2 days ago I have recieve a call from our prior doctor's clinic (her secretary). We are informed that we have to pay for the service (1st 5 pages would be $35.00 and any excess page will be 1.30 each). And we truly understand that part.

However, what I don't understand is that,we are obliged to pick-up the documents personally. Should they be sending out the documents to my/our new doctor?

The secretary that I talked with said, I have to pick up myself all the documents and pay for the charges/fees at the same time. Documents will only be printed out at the time I would go there personally to pick it up and pay for it. I told her should they be sending out to my new doctor instead? And I would just go to their clinic later to pay for the transfer fees. This is what she answered , "I don't understand why new physician would need a copy of these records when it is your OBygne who would need the records. What you need to do is to come here in our clinic prior to your first appointment with your OBgyne on (August 26, 2010) because you have to get those original documents and you will have to hand it over to OBgnye. And not to your new family physician.

My question is, is it not that they be forwarding those orig documents to my OBGYNE instead and not for me to take the responsibility?

My new family physician told us that all we have to do is to fill up the release of records form and her clinic will do the rest. She said I don't have to go to her clinic before my appointment to OBgyne on August 26 just to get those orig documents because she said once she receive my/our records from our prior doctor, she will just faxe all the necessary documents to my OBgyne's clinic. So I am confused now. Which one is right?. The prior doctor told me that I have to drop by to her clinic and pick up all the necessary documents to be given to my OBgyne. But the new physician said , I don't have to that because she will be the one to forward all the records to my OBgyne's clininc once she recieve my records from the prior doctor. The problem is that, our medical records will not be forwarded to our new physician if we're not going to the prior doctor's clinic to pick up the documents ourselves (personally). T
Any advice that you can give about this please? and thank you so much

Fel

Reply to Topic
Jump To:

SF2000