What is the Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB)?
The CCTB provides money to eligible families to help them with the costs of raising children.
You have to be eligible to receive the CCTB. One of the requirements is that you are a Canadian resident for tax purposes. This is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. Find out more in Do I have to file a tax return?
How much will I receive?
The amount you receive is based on:
- The number of qualified children you have, and their ages;
- Where you live in Canada;
- Your adjusted family net income for the previous tax year; and
- Your child's eligibility for the disability amount.
You can use the Child and Family Benefits Online Calculator to get an estimate of the amount you may receive.
Many community agencies can help you find information about child and family tax benefits. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.
For More Information
- Child and Family Benefits - Information about the Canada Child Tax Benefit, including application and payment procedures. From the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Newcomers to Canada - This guide is for first time tax filers in Canada. It will help you determine if you are a resident for tax purposes, which is not the same as residency for immigration purposes. From the CRA.
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) - The federal agency responsible for administering tax, benefits and related programs across the country. Their website provides detailed information about tax-related issues.
- Frequently Asked Questions about Individual Taxation - Information and answers about tax rates and how to file your return. From the CRA.
- General Income Tax and Benefit Package - A collection of forms and information sheets which you need to file your income tax return. From the CRA.
- What is the taxation system in Canada?
- Are there any incentives or tax breaks for buying a home?
- Do I have to file a tax return?
- How much income tax do I have to pay?
- How do I file my tax return?
- Where can I get help with my tax return?
- What happens after I file my tax return?
- What are the important dates in the tax year?
- How do I apply for the CCTB?
- What is the HST credit? Am I eligible?