Where can I find information about Ontario companies?
You can find information about Ontario companies in libraries, community agencies and on the internet.
Business directories are useful sources of information about Ontario companies. You can read them for free in public libraries and at some community organizations that focus on employment. Sometimes you have to pay a fee to read them from the internet.
Examples of business directories include:
- Industry Canada - This website has an up-to-date, searchable database of thousands of Canadian businesses.
- Toronto Public Library - Virtual Reference Library - This website has a listing of business directory websites across Canada . You can find information by location and industry.
- City or Region Business Directories - Many municipal and regional governments publish a local directory through their economic development department. Some of these directories are available on the internet.
- Scott's Directories - One of the best-known industry directories. You can find their directories on their website, for a fee. Some local libraries keep these directories where you can look at them for free.
- Frasers Canadian Trade Directory – You can search this directory by company name, product or service, brand name, or keyword. You can access this directory on the website without paying a fee. You have you register on the site.
- Canadian Trade Index - Searchable by company name or product/service. You can access this directory on the website for free.
You have to pay for many business and industry directories on the internet. However, you can read them for free in public libraries.
Reference Librarians can help you search CD-ROM and online databases of company information. Contact your local library to find out more about what they have to offer you. To find a library, go to Services Near Me.
You can find many of these directories at your local employment service provider.
For more information, go to What employment services are available in my community?
Company and Industry Websites
Many websites have information about companies and general labour market information.
- Canadian Company Capabilities - A database with information about more than 60,000 Canadian businesses. You can customize and print out reports of the information you find.
- Top 1000 Canadian Companies - This list reviews the 1,000 largest publicly traded corporations. They are ranked by their after-tax profits in their most recent fiscal year
- SEDAR (System for Electronic Document Analysis and Retrieval) - Detailed information about public companies, mutual funds and mutual fund groups. This includes their addresses, contact information and stock exchange listings. All Canadian public companies and mutual funds have to file their documents in the SEDAR system.
- Business Information by Sector - Information about hundreds of Canadian associations. These profiles can include recent business, technological and employment trends, company directories and industry-specific news.
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) - NAICS is an industry classification system. It has common definitions of the industrial structure of Canadian, U.S. and Mexican economies.
- Professional Organizations in Ontario - Some mandatory and voluntary membership associations have information about the industry and particular companies.
Job Listing Websites
Job listing websites have information about the companies that post jobs there. They often link to the company's website.
These websites can give you information about companies that are hiring.
Find more information about job listing websites.
You can find a company's address or phone number on the Canada411 website. This is an online phone book. Search a company by name to find its phone number and address.
You can use an internet search engine to look for information about a specific company. All you need to know is the company's name.