How do I get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
To get a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you have to fill out an application. You also need to collect some documents to submit with your application.
Apply in Person
- Get an application form online or from your local Service Canada Centre.
- Fill it out.
- Collect the documents you need.
- Take your application and documents to your local Service Canada Centre.
If you meet all the requirements, you can get your number the day you hand in the application. Service Canada no longer provides plastic SIN cards. They will mail you your SIN information in the form of a letter within 10 business days. There is no application fee for your first SIN.
Apply by Mail
You can apply by mail if you live over 100 kilometers from a Service Canada centre. If you are in another situation that makes it difficult to apply in person, you should call 1-800-206-7218 (option 3) to see if you are eligible to apply by mail.
Many settlement agencies can help you apply for a SIN. To find a settlement agency in your area, go to Services Near Me.
Who can get a Social Insurance Number?
If you are eligible to work in Canada, you can get a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents
- Some temporary residents
- Some refugee claimants
If you are a refugee claimant or a temporary resident, you will get a SIN with an expiration date. These SINs start with 9.
For More Information
- Social Insurance Number Application Form - You can download the SIN application form from the Service Canada website.
- Social Insurance Number - Answers to questions about the Social Insurance Number. From Service Canada.
- Who can apply for a SIN? - From Service Canada.