How do I get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
To get a Social Insurance Number (SIN), you have to fill out an application. You also need to collect some documents to submit with your application.
Apply in Person
- Get an application form online or from your local Service Canada Centre.
- Fill it out.
- Collect the documents you need.
- Take your application and documents to your local Service Canada Centre.
If you meet all the requirements, you can get your number the day you hand in the application. Service Canada will mail you a SIN card within 10 business days. There is no application fee for your first SIN.
Apply by Mail
You can also apply by mail. You have to send your original documents (not photocopies) with your application. Send your completed application and original documents to:
Social Insurance Registration Office
P.O. Box 7000
Bathurst, NB E2A 4T1
This takes about 3 weeks. There is no application fee for your first SIN.
Many settlement agencies can help you apply for a SIN. To find a settlement agency in your area, go to Services Near Me.
For More Information
- Social Insurance Number Application Form - You can download the SIN application form from the Service Canada website.
- Social Insurance Number - Answers to questions about the Social Insurance Number. From Service Canada.
- What is a Social Insurance Number (SIN)? Do I need one?
- Who can get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
- What documents do I need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
- Who do I need to show my Social Insurance Number (SIN) to?
- What if my Social Insurance Number (SIN) starts with 9?
- What do I do if my SIN is lost or stolen?