What are the different school systems in Ontario?
In Ontario there are 4 publicly-funded school systems, private schools and homeschooling.
Ontario has 4 publicly-funded school systems:
- English Public
- English Catholic
- French-language Public
- French-language Catholic
Publicly-funded schools are managed by district school boards.
English Public elementary and secondary schools, and English Catholic secondary schools are open to all students.
Catholic elementary schools are open to all students who are baptized as Roman Catholic and to children who have 1 or 2 Roman Catholic parents. Some English Catholic school boards might admit non-Catholic students into a Catholic elementary school. For more information about admission to a Catholic elementary school, contact your local school board.
Generally, French language schools are open to all students seeking a French language education. For information on French language education, contact your local school board.
Private or independent schools also offer elementary and secondary education. These schools do not receive government funding, and usually students must pay to attend them. These schools may focus on religion, culture, language, or specific approaches to teaching.
The Ministry of Education maintains an up-to-date list of private schools in Ontario.
Homeschooling is teaching your child at home. Visit the Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents for more information about home schooling and related resources.
Many community agencies can help you find information about school for your children. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.
For More Information
- Local School Boards - A list of local school boards across Ontario.
- Private Elementary and Secondary Schools - Search for a specific private school or get a complete list of all private schools in Ontario.
- Newcomer Reception Centres for Schools - A list of school newcomer reception centres where students get assessed before starting school and parents can get information.
- Who does what in Ontario's public education system? - This tip sheet has information about the people involved in Ontario schools, including the school board, the EQAO, school council, teacher and principal. Available in more than 10 languages.
- Newcomer’s Guides to Education - These guides explain what parents can expect from the Ontario education system and how you can help your child succeed both socially as well as academically.