What services does OHIP cover?
The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) pays for a wide range of health care services. It pays for most basic medical and emergency services. It can pay for all or part of the cost.
There are some services that OHIP does not pay for. These are services that are not medically needed, such as cosmetic surgery.
For some treatments, OHIP pays part of the cost. For example:
- Some services from your doctor, podiatrists, chiropractors and osteopaths
- Physiotherapy treatments
- Dental services in hospitals
- Eye tests
- Travel costs: if you live in northern Ontario and must travel long distances for specialty medical care, OHIP may pay some travel costs.
Talk to a health care professional to find out if a procedure or treatment is covered by OHIP. You can also contact the Ministry of Health INFOline:
- In Ontario (toll free): 1-800-268-1154
- In Toronto: 416-314-5518
- TTY: 1-800-387-5559
If you travel outside of Ontario or Canada OHIP may cover some costs. The Ministry of Health and Long-term Care recommends that you get private health insurance when you travel. Health care services outside Canada can cost much more than OHIP will cover.
For more information, go to Does OHIP cover me when I am outside Ontario?
How do I pay for services that are not covered by OHIP?
You can buy private insurance to pay for services not covered by OHIP.
Find out more in Do I need private health insurance?
Many community agencies can help answer your questions about OHIP. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.
For More Information
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) - Describes how OHIP works and provides fact sheets, forms, answers to frequently asked questions and a list of OHIP offices across Ontario. Provided by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care.
- Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) - Frequently asked questions about OHIP answered by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) Fact Sheets - A series of publications from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- OHIP Coverage Waiting Period - Information from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term care about the 3-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage.