When do I have to tell my landlord that I am moving out?
Before you move out, you have to let your landlord know that you are leaving. This is called "giving notice." You can make an oral agreement but it is a good idea to have a written agreement.
How much time or notice you have to give your landlord depends on your rental agreement:
- If you pay rent by the day or week, you must give 28 days notice (for example, if you want to leave on March 1, you have to give notice by February 1).
- If you pay rent by the month, you must give 60 days notice.
- If your lease is fixed for a period longer than a month, you must give 60 days notice.
When you give notice, you have to let your landlord know what day you want to end your tenancy. This must be the last day of the rental period. For example, if you pay rent by the month, the last day of your tenancy must be the last day of the month.
You can contact a legal clinic or housing help centre for more information. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.
For More Information
- How a Tenant Can End Their Tenancy - A brochure from the Landlord and Tenant Board.
- Moving Out - This booklet describes what tenants have to do if they want to move out, and what can happen if they do not follow the rules.
- Can your landlord take your stuff? - This booklet explains what landlords can do with personal property that tenants leave behind when they move or are evicted.
- A Guide to the Residential Tenancies Act - Explains the most important sections of the RTA. Available in more than 10 languages.
- Landlord and Tenant Board - Provides information about the RTA and to resolve disputes between most residential landlords and tenants.
- What are my rights as a tenant?
- What are my responsibilities as a tenant?
- What is a Smart Meter? Do I have to get one?
- Can my landlord enter my home?
- When can my landlord evict me?
- What can I do if my landlord wants to evict me?
- What can I do if the place I rent needs repairs?
- How often can a landlord increase the rent?
- How can I end my tenancy early?
- How do I submit an application with the Landlord and Tenant Board?
- Who does the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) apply to?
- A Guide to the Residential Tenancies Act
- Maintenance and Repairs - A Guide for Tenants
- Guide to Tenant Rights
- Can your landlord take your stuff?