Where can I find career maps for trades and regulated professions?
Some trades and professions are regulated in Ontario to protect public health and safety. That means that you must have a licence or certification to work in those fields.
To get a licence in a regulated profession, you must go through a specific registration process with the profession's regulatory body. Registration processes may involve many requirements and can be very complicated, time-consuming and expensive.
A career map is a guide that can help you understand the steps of the licencing registration process, as well as the language requirements, industry trends, labour market conditions, credential assessment process, licensing fees and other important information related to your original occupation. The career map for your occupation can help you determine which steps you need to take to work in your field. They are available on the Ontario Immigration website.
Audiologist and Speech-Language Pathologist
Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)*
Engineering Technician or Technologist
Educator and Early Childhood Educator
Medical Laboratory Technologist
Medical Radiation Technologist
Physician or Surgeon
Real Estate Agent
Technologist or Technician
Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists
*Note: Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) now includes Chartered Accountant (CA), Chartered General Account (CGA) and Chartered Management Accountant (CMA) designations.
For information about certification requirements, you can contact the Workplace Training Branch of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU).
Industrial Mechanic (Millwright)
Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
Sheet Metal Worker
Tool and Die Maker
For More Information
- Working in Canada Tool - Use this to find the name of your occupation in Canada, find out if it is regulated and get labour market information. From the Government of Canada website.
- Working in Ontario - Information about getting licensed in your profession or trade, bridging programs, credential assessment and more. From the Ontario Immigration website.
- Find Your Profession - Information about regulated professions in Ontario. From the Ontario Immigration website.
- Global Experience Ontario - An information service for internationally-trained professionals. Find out how to apply to a regulatory body to obtain licensure to work in your field. It is run by the government of Ontario.
- Health Force Ontario - Has information for internationally-trained health care professionals. Find information about the assessment, upgrading, education, bridging and language programs you might need to practice in Ontario. It is run by the government of Ontario.
- Information on Specific Occupations - This site has information on many professions for internationally-trained professional and focuses on practice and licensing requirements, regulatory bodies and qualifications assessment. From the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC).
- No Related Articles