Do I need a visitor's visa to visit Canada and if so, how do I apply for one?
You may need to get a visitor's visa to visit Canada. It depends on which country you are from.
A visitor is a person who comes to Canada for a temporary purpose and is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. This includes tourists, people visiting family in Canada, business travellers, foreign students, and temporary workers.
If you are a passport holder of these countries, you must get a visitor's visa (temporary resident visa) to enter Canada.
The list of countries that are exempt from needing the visitor's visa can change at any time. Check Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website for current information.
Make sure you have all the proper documents before you travel to Canada.
You must satisfy the visa officer that you meet certain requirements and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.
Canada does not pay for hospital or medical services for visitors. Make sure you have health insurance to pay your medical costs before you leave for Canada.
You may wish to apply for a multi-entry visa, such as a Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.
How to Apply
- Read the instruction guide.
- Collect the documents [PDF] you need.
- Download and complete the application form [PDF]. Each family member must fill out their own form, even if you are travelling together. You can submit all forms in 1 envelope.
- Pay the fees.
- Send your application to a Canadian visa office.
For More Information
- Visiting Canada - Information about how to apply for a visitor's visa, how you can extend your stay, and answers to frequently asked questions. From Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
- Visitors to Canada - Information that visitors to Canada need to know before they travel. From the Canada Border Services Agency.
- Come to Canada - A tool that can help you figure out what your options are if you want to come to Canada as an immigrant, student, worker or visitor. From CIC.
- CIC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) - The federal department responsible for Canadian immigration and citizenship. Its website has information on immigration policy, programs and services, application kits, and more.
- How can I apply to immigrate to Ontario?
- How can I come to Canada as a business immigrant?
- How can I come to Canada as a skilled worker?
- Should I come to Canada as a skilled worker?
- How can I come to Canada as a skilled trades worker?
- What is the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa?
- How do I come to Canada as a temporary foreign worker?
- I am an international student. Can I apply for permanent residence?
- What is Opportunities Ontario: Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)?
- What is the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)?
- How can I help someone get a visitor visa to come to Canada?