What are my rights as a worker in Ontario?
The Employment Standards Act (ESA) is a law in Ontario. Employers have to treat workers fairly. This law tells employers how to do that.
The Employment Standards Act (ESA) is for most workers in Ontario. It does not apply to workers in federally-regulated industries, such as banks and transportation.
The ESA has rules that employers have to follow. They tell employers what they can and can't make you do. These include the rules about:
- The hours you work
- What the minimum wage is and how and when you get pay for overtime work
- Public holidays
- How much vacation time workers get and when you get vacation pay
- Pregnancy and parental leave
- Personal emergency leave (including sick days) and family medical leave
- Termination pay
- Severance pay
- Filing a claim
The Ontario Ministry of Labour has information about your rights and responsibilities. You can file a claim with the Ministry if you think your employer did not respect your rights. Find out more about when to file a claim.
For More Information
- Employment Standards - Frequently asked questions (FAQs) on a variety of related issues. Also includes a glossary of phrases and words and information in different languages. From the Ontario Ministry of Labour.
- Your Employment Standards Rights: Foreign National Live-in Caregivers - This fact sheet has information about your rights as a Live-in Caregiver in Ontario. It is available in different languages. Produced by the Ministry of Labour.
- Work Smart Ontario - Information about employment standards for youth and people starting out in the workforce in Ontario. What you need to know about protecting your health and safety and understanding your employment rights. From the Ontario Ministry of Labour.
- What are my health and safety rights?
- What are my rights as a lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer or questioning (LGBTQ) person at work?
- What is the minimum wage when I work?
- What is discrimination at work? What can I do if I am being discriminated against at work?
- Every Worker Has Rights
- Illegal Deductions From Wages
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Your Rights as a Worker