How long do I have to wait for subsidized housing?
Generally, you have to wait a long time but some people, such as those experiencing abuse, may not have to wait as long.
There are waiting lists for subsidized housing across Ontario. In some areas, the waiting list is more than 10 years. In other places the wait is shorter.
People who have been on the waiting list longer will be offered housing first. This is called first come, first served. Certain applicants, such as people experiencing abuse, may receive priority and will be offered housing sooner.
You can contact a community agency or housing help centre for more information about subsidized housing. To find help in your area, go to Services Near Me.
For More Information
- Waiting Lists for Subsidized Housing - Lists the average waiting times for communities across Ontario.
- Housing Connections - Manages the wait list for subsidized housing units in Toronto.
- Looking for Subsidized Housing - Information about subsidized housing in Ontario, including how to apply and eligibility guidelines.
- Find Housing Help in Ontario - This website lists housing help centres across Ontario. These centres can help you find affordable housing and access financial and social supports. From the Housing Help Association of Ontario.
- Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association (ONPHA) - An association of private and municipal non-profit housing providers in Ontario. The ONPHA website explains what non-profit housing is, describes ONPHA services and has links to related organizations.